Two prices per Product

citabriabob

I am testing CubeCart looking for functionality. Checked throught the forums and extensions, but cannot find a way to handle Member/Non-Member pricing. These are both fixed (not %) and activated by possibly entereing a member ID. Any one know?

This feature is called "Group Pricing".

Steps:

1. Admin, Customer List, Customer Groups tab, Create Customer Group. Repeat as necessary.
2. Admin, Products, edit any product, Pricing tab.
3. At the top, select the group from the drop-down. Make sure that group's name is showing below the drop-down selector. Fill in pricing. Click Save and Reload. Repeat as necessary.
4. Admin, Customer List, edit any customer, Customer Groups tab, from the Add Group Membership drop-down, select applicable group. Click plus in green circle. Select other groups as desired. Save.

CubeCart will search and offer the cheapest price allowed for that customer - including sale prices. For example, an item sells wholesale at $100, retail at $140, but is on sale for $89 retail. The wholesale group still gets the sale price - or an even better sale price in the wholesale pricing group.

The customer must log in so that CubeCart can find each group membership that customer is a member of. It will be the responsibility of the store admin to assign any given customer to any relevant customer group.

Thanks, bsmither!

I was hoping to continue our old system, where a member enters his Member ID at order time; we manually check all orders before charging, so phony numbers are not an issue. Forcing customers to register then have us change his customer group is a clumsy two-step process.

I was exploring the idea of setting up a promotional code for members and have CC set the customer group immediately, but don't see a way to do that.

Just getting your existing system clear in my mind:

The presence of an ID code at checkout engages a different price schedule? Or do you manually make the price adjustment interstitially in the purchasing process?

Is the numerical ID code recorded in the customer database record? That is to say, you can verify the ID code belongs to a specific customer?

Is your concern the amount of work involved in translating your existing system to a CubeCart method of satisfying this requirement?

2 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Just getting your existing system clear in my mind:

The presence of an ID code at checkout engages a different price schedule? Yes Or do you manually make the price adjustment interstitially in the purchasing process?

Is the numerical ID code recorded in the customer database record? Yes, but offline That is to say, you can verify the ID code belongs to a specific customer? Yes, manually

Is your concern the amount of work involved in translating your existing system to a CubeCart method of satisfying this requirement? The idea is that order and payment are manually checked; the correct pricing on order entry means no additional contact with the customer. Member database is NOT in the CC customer list.

As I see this, the manual steps of checking the customer's membership ID (for each and every order?) will now be all automatic with the customer belonging to a group in concert with the product's price schedule for that group.

What I also see is that the customer will need to create a store account (that is, to "register" as opposed to purchasing as a "ghost customer"). I think I see that this is what you are trying to avoid?

Using a coupon code will not set the customer's group membership (need to register for that to work anyway), but it will change the price - a percentage off (not specifically what you want) or a fixed amount off (i.e., $20 off). The coupon can be applied to specific products, or to the subtotal excepting specific products. This probably isn't exactly what you are wanting either.

You are wanting an arbitrary price schedule(s), per product, switchable based on the presence of a data item during checkout that does not require customers be registered.

Group pricing on the inventory solves half the problem.

Let me see how easy it will be to conflate ghost customers with group pricing.

Be back soon.

This is the current setup; html pages and perl script to process. You can test it using cc #4111 1111 1111 1111. Works great, but too many items now and would be great to have the CubeCart functionality.

7 minutes ago, citabriabob said:

This is the current setup; html pages and perl script to process. You can test it using cc #4111 1111 1111 1111. Works great, but too many items now and would be great to have the CubeCart functionality.

Oops! Here is the link. http://www.aeronca.org/Store.html

Ran into a snag. A "ghost" customer does not have a certain property, and the code that offers the group pricing is wanting to see that property.

So, I am solving a work-around and testing to see if it breaks anything else.

I am close.

Export CSV? Is this task a database table translation to a CSV file? If so, the prices for each pricing group (by id) is in CubeCart_pricing_group and CubeCart_pricing_quantity.

If not, are you wanting to perform the function found in admin, Export Catalogue?

"Export Catalogue" only exports the first product (???) into a csv file; the pricing group is not exported at all. I am hoping to export all products, then add the group price to all products in anticipation of a mod as described above.

Is there a trick to get the export working?

There is no trick -- but one needs to realize the limitations of what gets exported.

However, if there is in fact more than one item in the inventory, then we are concerned that your exported CSV contains only one item. The CSV should have all items.

With respect to getting a custom dataset into the CSV, we can help with building a module to do that.

After some more research, I find that the "group pricing" is a different table CubeCart_pricing _group. I took 3 products and assigned them "Club Members' prices that are different than the "Retail Pricing". This is what the  CubeCart_pricing _group looks like:

price_id     group_id     product_id     price     sale_price     tax_type     tax_inclusive     

5    1    1    14.95    0.00    1    0    
10    1    10    14.95    0.00    1    0    
11    1    4    14.95    0.00    1    0    

Product-id correctly refers to the numeric id of the product

price is shown correctly as the "Club Members"" price

but price_id keeps changing even though they are all the same price group.

I am trying to see if I could upload these "Club Members" prices for each product, which I thought were price_id 5, but apparently not.

Crickets

The CubeCart_pricing_group is known as a 'glue' table. A table that associates a many-to-many relationship. It also maintains a few items of data for each distinct one-to-one pairing.

Having a Primary Key on a table makes it easy to update a specific record.

Sometimes CubeCart actually uses the ID column of a glue table, and sometimes not. When CubeCart doesn't make updates using the Primary Key, CubeCart simply deletes all relationships having a given parameter, and then re-inserts the entire collection. (Sometimes it's more efficient to "nuke-and-pave" than to examine each element to determine if any of them need updating.)

In this case (as best I recall), the 'price_id' is not used at all.

I was hoping for a way to upload products, including the pricing group (second) price for each item; because of the relationships you mentioned, I think it's unwise to upload it to the database directly. Any other thoughts as to how this can be done?

• 1 year later...

Archived