Manual FTP upgrade overwrites existing content, images etc

ve2nw

Hi there,

I'm running 6.1.8 and looking to upgrade to 6.1.13. I opted to use FTP transfer to make the upgrade, but when I transferred the full content of the upgrade zip file, several upgrade folders overwrote/deleted some of my content such as images etc. I uploaded the upgrade files to my 'www' folder (essentially publicHTML). 

The installation/upgrade forum post suggests to copy over ALL upgrade files, but I don't want it to delete any custom content. Can someone shed some light on how to approach the transfer differently? Or perhaps there are a core set of files and folders from the 6.1.13 upgrade zip that are necessary to upgrade but do not overwrite content (ie. Could I FTP transfer everything but the images, for example?)

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

I have not known an FTP program to overwrite a full directory with an empty directory. That is incredibly bad behavior. I can understand if the program were actually "syncing" the remote location to the local location, making them match. Syncing two locations is not the same as uploading and overwriting existing files. Thus, if there is no new file to overwrite an existing file (an image file, for example), the existing file does not disappear.

So, please let us know what program you used to transfer the files and if that program was configured to "sync" as opposed to overwrite.

Thanks for the response. I'm using Panic's Transmit. 

I've attached a screenshot from Transmit's settings - do you think I should choose to 'skip the file' if it already exists? I guess this wouldn't work, because then it would skip uploading the new 'admin.php' file, for example. I don't seem to be able to find any setting which defines behaviour for empty .v. full directories. 

Appreciate any more thoughts you have on this. Is there an FTP client you might recommend for Mac that you know has the correct behaviour?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 13.04.00.png