Product options don’t show on items listed under a Category

BryanTAO

Hi, let’s say I’m selling A THING and it has 3 pricing options A £1 B £2 C £3 and it is in a category called BITS. In the Front End (not admin) when I click on category BITS there are many items listed and one of them is my item A THING. But I do not see any pricing options until I actually click on A THING and see the expanded view. This means that on the initial listing a customer would never know that A THING had options and would only see my chosen default price. Am I setting my products up wrongly? Thank you.

You are not seeing things wrongly.

The item panels (Latest Products on Homepage and the item list for Categories, Searched, and Sale Items) have very little screen real estate allocated to show product details. This is a design consideration of the skin.

There are extensions that will put the options on the View Category page. See: https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/plugins/category-product-options

I do not know what that extension actually does, but it seems to me a simple enhancement to the skin code to show options is all that is necessary.

Maybe simply testing for the presence of options, then adding "Starting from..." next to the price.

Or switching out the "Add to Basket" button for a "See Options" button.

12 hours ago, bsmither said:

There are extensions that will put the options on the View Category page. See: https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/plugins/category-product-options

I do not know what that extension actually does, but it seems to me a simple enhancement to the skin code to show options is all that is necessary.

Thanks for the reference Brian - all our plugins are available for a seven day full functioning trial so you can test before purchasing

Ian

• 8 months later...

Any hints on how to "testing for the presence of options"? I have managed to replace the add to basket button on the category page for products with options with a view options button by manually adding each category name to an "if" statement in the content.category.php file as seen below. Ideally I would like to add a statement that would automatically replace the add to basket with view options button only if the product has options. Perhaps an if statement of some kind that would check the database for a product with options. Unfortunately my smarty knowledge is not too smart right now.

{**** Do not show add to cart button on catalog page for products with options ****}
                    {if ($category.cat_name eq 'Widgets One') || ($category.cat_name eq 'Widgets Two') || ($category.cat_name eq 'Widgets Three')}
                        <a href="{$product.url}" title="{$product.name}" class="button small postfix">{$LANG.common.info}</a>
                    {else}
                     <div class="row collapse">
                     <div class="small-4 columns">
                        <input type="text" name="quantity" value="1" maxlength="3" class="quantity text-center">
                     </div>
                     <div class="small-8 columns">
                        <button type="submit" value="{$LANG.catalogue.add_to_basket}" class="button small postfix">{$LANG.catalogue.add_to_basket}</button>
                     </div>
                  </div>
                {/if}

Archived