Upgrading MySQL 5.1.73 to 5.5/5.6

I have CubeCart v6.1.14 installed and my server is currently running MySQL v5.1.73 (even though cubecart.com says 5.5 minimum)

I understand that you should not upgrade directly from 5.1 to 5.7, but should go 5.1 to 5.5, then 5.5 to 5.6, then 5.6 to 5.7.

However Plesk does not yet support 5.7, so I won’t be going that far.

1/ What do I need to do with my CubeCart database if my server is upgraded from MySQL 5.1 to MySQL v5.5?

and then...

2/ What do I need to do with my CubeCart database if my server is upgraded from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL v5.6?

CubeCart's queries are not convoluted. I do not know why CubeCart recommends a MySQL Server version no less than 5.5.

In my opinion, there are no considerations needed to be reviewed when getting a more recent version of MySQL.

I am running MySQL 5.6.17 with CC6114, and MySQL 5.6.14 with CC620b1 (on a different server running PHP 7.2.4).

(Initially, during installation, the compatibility report showed MySQLnd (the PHP connectoid) at version 5.0 - which was confusing.)