Moving to a new server

Robin Somes

We're very shortly moving our shop to a new server, and in the process, updating CC from the aged 6.06 (yes, I know...) to the most recent version. My assumption is that the process, simplified, should go more or less as follows:

1. Take backups of existing site.

2. Re-acquaint self with code modifications, and the reasons for them.

3. Install old version of CC on new server.

4. Import site from backups.

5. Re-apply code mods.

6. Ensure site is working and take more backups.

7. Update CC to the latest version.

8. Re-apply code mods.

9. Update plugins.

Am I missing anything crucial?

Shop: www.piscesconservation.com/cube
CC: 6.0.6, Skin: Foundation, Plugins: All In One Shipping, Facebook, PayPal, ProductAddons, SagePay

I think its quite a convoluted way. If we did this for you on the managed support plan we would;

1. Take a full backup.
  2. "Diff" against the same version to pull out an exact report of code changes.
  3. Apply these code changes to 6.2.14.
  4. Upgrade using the customised package. 

I've done this many times. It's very time consuming but we do it at no extra cost to a regular upgrade.

6.0.6 has security holes so hopefully they have been patched. If not then you need to check that it hasn't been hacked. If it has then it needs to be cleansed. There is a support article about how to do that. A classic hacked store may be running code snippets you don't know about. These can be viewed in the "Manage Hooks" section in the "Code Snippets" tab. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Al. The code changes are not especially complex, and I annotated them reasonably well at the time and kept copies of the amended files. The more complex issue (for me at least) is getting the site from our old legacy server - which isn't capable of running the more recent versions, hence all sorts of grief - to the new platform (which is hosted by the same ISP). Assuming your managed support plan is the advertised £40/month plus setup costs, that seems reasonable, so we'll likely go for that option, as soon as we've provisioned the new platform. Thanks again.

16 hours ago, Al Brookbanks said:

I think its quite a convoluted way. If we did this for you on the managed support plan we would;

1. Take a full backup.
  2. "Diff" against the same version to pull out an exact report of code changes.
  3. Apply these code changes to 6.2.14.
  4. Upgrade using the customised package. 

I've done this many times. It's very time consuming but we do it at no extra cost to a regular upgrade.

6.0.6 has security holes so hopefully they have been patched. If not then you need to check that it hasn't been hacked. If it has then it needs to be cleansed. There is a support article about how to do that. A classic hacked store may be running code snippets you don't know about. These can be viewed in the "Manage Hooks" section in the "Code Snippets" tab. 

Whats the charge for this service Al.

My main site has a number of mods which I've lost track of.

• 2 weeks later...

if big site,for example,1 million products.

before moving,you need to make sure if you are using InnoDB or MyISAM storage.

for InnoDB,use XtraBackup to backup your site.

for MyISAM,use "tar czf" to copy and paste between the two servers.

for small site,just log in to your database using phpmyadmin and do the backup and then import to the new server's database.