PayPal and addresses

Blurky

Hi everyone,

I'm currently setting up my CubeCart store, and am having some difficulties with both PayPal standard and PayPal express (braintree is unavailable in my country).

Unfortunately I feel like there are some issues with how addresses are handled, particularly if the delivery address is different to that of billing.

When ordering using paypal standard, the billing address is given over to paypal as the delivery address.

Using express, the state that is in the customers address is shortened, and when going to complete payment, cubecart gives an error saying the state is incorrect and asks for the state to be set (in a new address entry in the address book).

Ideally I would like PayPal to avoid asking for a shipping address, and to just take the billing address from the store, or the billing address from the customer's paypal account if they are logging in.

Is there any way to get PayPal to integrate more smoothly with CubeCart, because there seems to be some conflict between the two.

6.2 has the ability to make state optional or disabled which will improve the checkout experience for Express Checkout. 

I'd suggest using Express Checkout instead of PayPal Standard. Please note that PayPal Express Checkout will not return a billing address unless they have specifically enabled this on your account. This is not a coding fault in CubeCart. I have spoken to the guys at PayPal about this some months ago. 

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/api/merchant/GetExpressCheckoutDetails_API_Operation_NVP/#address-type-fields

Thanks Al,

I'm still a little bit confused. Paypal Express unfortunately takes the delivery address from cubecart and makes it the billing address, and defaults to "ship to my residential address" which I would prefer it not to do. My main concern is that addresses are going to be confused, given that paypal is taking the wrong addresses, and could alter the cubecart saved addresses to something else (such as the customer's personal address). Ideally I would like either the cubecart site or paypal express to handle addresses, but not both.

Another issue is that under choose payment method, there is no radio box for paypal, until I click through on secure checkout to choose a payment provider. There is also a paypal checkout link on the page, but would it be possible to remove the secure checkout option so the page is cleaner?

Edited by Blurky

3 minutes ago, Blurky said:

Thanks Al,

I'm still a little bit confused. Paypal Express unfortunately takes the delivery address from cubecart and makes it the billing address, and defaults to "ship to my residential address" which I would prefer it not to do. My main concern is that addresses are going to be confused, given that paypal is taking the wrong addresses, and could alter the cubecart saved addresses to something else (such as the customer's personal address). Ideally I would like either the cubecart site or paypal express to handle addresses, but not both.

Another issue is that under choose payment method, there is no radio box for paypal, until I click through on secure checkout to choose a payment provider. There is also a paypal checkout link on the page, but would it be possible to remove the secure checkout option so the page is cleaner?

I'll have to make some tests around addresses when I can. The PayPal integration is certified by PayPal UK. They asked us to remove the PayPal payment method from the list.

If you want it to show the PayPal "mark" then you can edit the modules/plugins/PayPal_Pro/hooks/class.cubecart.display_gateways.php file. Remove the conditions like;

if(!in_array($_GET['_a'], array('basket', 'checkout', 'confirm'))) {

Stripe seems to meet all my needs given that it simply takes credit card credentials, while CubeCart handles the address details. My only concern is that Stripe might not be as secured given the credentials are entered on the CubeCart page, as opposed to opening a separate payment page like PayPal. Do you think this is the way to go?

1 hour ago, Blurky said:

Stripe seems to meet all my needs given that it simply takes credit card credentials, while CubeCart handles the address details. My only concern is that Stripe might not be as secured given the credentials are entered on the CubeCart page, as opposed to opening a separate payment page like PayPal. Do you think this is the way to go?

They are not entered on your page. That's the beauty of Stripe. They look like they are but if you look at the source code you'll see they are not self hosted input fields. On those grounds its just as secure.

1 hour ago, Al Brookbanks said:

They are not entered on your page. That's the beauty of Stripe. They look like they are but if you look at the source code you'll see they are not self hosted input fields. On those grounds its just as secure.

Definitely sounds like stripe is the way to go then. Just wanted to make sure all my bases were covered as I'm new to all this!

Thanks for your help!