Problem with State Placeholder in 6.2.0?

Dirty Butter

If a country does not have any county/states listed in my database and is set as optional - the State box on filling in the Checkout Confirm country SHOULD be blank.

Instead it shows a placeholder of "State (Required)". It does allow checkout to proceed even without filling anything in the blank.

The Demo Store also shows an extremely faint placeholder of County (Required), even though it allows checkout to continue without filling anything in the box.

The Estimate Shipping box correctly shows an empty State box when it should. There may be other places where the (Required) shows, but doesn't make sense to me.

Is this a bug?

I've double checked my install and find that a customer who fills out the Addressbook gets the correct process. If the state does not have any states listed, the State box is blank. If there are states listed, required or not, it simply offers the available choices.

BUT a customer who fills out the addresses from the content.checkout.confirm page (when they choose a product and then fill out address information) gets a different look, with the State (Required) placeholder.

I tried to compare the way states were handled in the content.checkout.confirm vs content.addressbook.php files. I noticed this difference:

checkout.confirm has var county_list = {$STATE_JSON};

addressbook has

var county_list = {$VAL_JSON_STATE}

Could it be that checkout.confirm needs the same line as addressbook? Well I tried using the addressbook JSON line in checkout.confirm, and it no longer offered the drop down when it should. So THAT's not it. UGH

Edited by Dirty Butter