Pending or Processing

Nelly111s

I've received two orders recently that seem odd (they might not be, it may be me!). My store is V6.2.0

One has completed the PayPal transaction OK and I've been paid and this is listed as Processing

One has not completed the checkout via PayPal, I've not been paid and this is listed as Pending. The customer did not get an order confirmation email.

This seems odd behaviour compared to what happens ordinarily. Any ideas?

CubeCart keeps an order at Pending (set that way at checkout) until a gateway sets it otherwise.

So, we can conclude (if everything is working properly) that the second order has not been successfully transacted. The customer did not or could not pay.

CubeCart does not send an email to the customer when an order goes to Pending. (Exceptions are the Printable Order Form, and any third-party plugin.)

If, for some reason, PayPal is not successful in notifying the store, via the IPN, or CubeCart fails to process the IPN, then there will be evidence (you will need to view the transaction logs) that the IPN did not arrive or failed to process the order. (You will also notice that you got paid.)

7 hours ago, Nelly111s said:

One has completed the PayPal transaction OK and I've been paid and this is listed as Processing

One has not completed the checkout via PayPal, I've not been paid and this is listed as Pending. The customer did not get an order confirmation email.

This seems odd behaviour compared to what happens ordinarily. Any ideas?

Not odd behaviour - this is exactly the process CubeCart with PayPal and most payment gateways, follows.

Ian

The store can be set to send the email when the order changes to one of two states.

Pending:

This is where the customer commits to buying, but doesn't then follow through to the gateway, (paypal etc).

Maybe he didn't click the gateway, he backed out, maybe the gateway couldn't connect, or even the customer got to the gateway and decided not to pay or couldn't pay.

Until a successful payment is made, the order will remain pending.

Processing: (which is what I suspect you have set)

This is where the customer completed the sale and made a successful payment.

The store won't email you for both steps though, its one or the other. (Email sent at the pending stage or processing stage)

With notify at processing , you run the risk of losing a sale if you don't keep an eye on the cart. (customer never paid, order still pending, no emails sent)

However, with notify at pending, you run the risk that the customer could go back and change his order after you recieved the email. (the store will email one time only)

In both instances, you can't fully rely on the email notification, you do need to keep an eye on the cart.

Edited by keat