Inventory not depleating properly

twistedsymphony

Recently the inventory on my site hasn't been depleting properly. I honestly don't know how long it'd be going on but occasionally I'd do a product count and find I'd be off by 1, I'd chalked it up to maybe not doing my count correctly, but recently I've been doing a lot more sales and selling out a lot more regularly and the store has been selling more than what I have available.

I did a test this morning.

The product is setup with an options matrix, the user can choose to buy in either black or white color and I track inventory for the two colors separately.

this morning I set the inventory to 2 white and 2 black. By the end of day I had 1 order for white and 4 orders for black and cube cart showed as still having 1 white and 1 black in stock.

This is extremely problematic  because now I have orders for items that I don't have in inventory.

I've attached some images of my inventory settings below. (the inventory count on black is after I manually set it to 0 to keep from getting anymore orders)

Any help would be appreciated as my store is getting more popular I'm constantly selling out of these items and I can't keep managing this manually and dealing from the fallout over orders for inventory I don't have.

settings3.jpg

settings1.jpg

settings2.jpg

That's correct. I've seen some unexpected behaviour around this area in the past and I think that will solve your issue. There's not any documentation in this area to confirm the expected behaviour based on the config you had set. 

I ran into this kind of thing when building the Ebay software for CubeCart and I've seen some other customers have to adjust config to get the expected results. 

OK, so changing this setting did not fix the issue.

Yesterday morning I changed the setting and I set the inventory to 3 white and 0 black because that's what I had on hand.

in the evening I had 2 orders for white but the inventory showed I had 2 white still in stock. (so one ordered properly depleted the other did not)

I double checked that that "use stock level" box was unchecked (it was) and set the inventory to 1 white.

this morning I woke up and I had 2 more orders for white and inventory was showing I had 2 white in stock!!! So not only did it fail to deplete it somehow added stock.

Set the inventory to 0 white 0 black this morning... I just got a email notification that a new order was placed... for a white item, check the product page and it was showing 2 white in inventory again!?

I set the inventory to 0 again and saved and refreshed to confirm it was still 0. I visit my product page and the store front is letting me load up as many of this item as I want !? I'm going to have to remove the product page altogether if this keeps allowing sales to go through like this.

EDIT: I finally got it to show out of stock but I had to force "clear cache" and "clear SQL cache" from the maintenance page before it would stop allowing orders.

playing around it seems this same issue is plaguing all of my other items as well (just not as noticeable since they're less popular and I don't often run out of stock). It seems as though whatever value has been cached will stick... I tried placing an order for one of my other items and it DID NOT deplete inventory untill I went and redid a forced clear cache.

What do I do to fix this?

I disabled the "main stock level as matrix stock level summary" option and set the main stock level to 0 for all of my items that use the matrix and that seemed to work for a few days but then today, once again it started allowing unlimited orders for an item I only had 1 of in stock.

Does no one have any other suggestions on how to fix this?

I can't say for sure. But I've not experienced this problem on any of my non-matrix items, and I have tested for it.

I will say that by disabling "main stock level as matrix stock level summary" option and set the main stock level to 0 it went from happening 90% of the time to about 5% of the time, so if nothing else its RELATED to the global stock level.

The problem is that it's intermittent. I will have 20 purchases that will properly deplete the stock then I'll get 3 in a row that wont. When I have setup test items out of 40 some odd "test purchases" it only failed to deplete the inventory twice.

I had suspected this was related to caching so I found the "Enable Caching" setting under performance and set it to "Disabled".

I've had this disabled for 3 days now and haven't experienced a single miscount of my inventory since.

I'm not sure why inventory counts are being cached at all, or why it wouldn't be properly updating the cached values, but so far this seems to be the only solution that has worked.

Interestingly, we have just had a report from a client of this exact same behaviour and they have been running 6.2.0 (just recently upgraded to 6.2.1) so it looks like it could be a problem introduced with the new caching in 6.2.0 - unfortunately our client has reported this and then closed their store for their Summer holiday

Reported as possible issue https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/2116

I always upgrade to the latest version when I see the notification in the dashboard. according to my upgrade history I've been on "6.2.1" since Tuesday, 12 June 2018. and I was on "6.2.0-b1" since Monday, 23 April 2018 before that.

I don't know the exact date when this started as my store doesn't get much activity and it's pretty spread out among my products, it only became noticeable when one particular product started getting a lot of attention and I went from 3 orders a week to 3 orders a day (as fast as I can make them).

So far I haven't had any problems since disabling the cache.

EDIT:
For reference I have a completely vanilla/unmodified  installation. The only modules I'm using is the "USPS Shipping Module" for shipping and the "PayPal Standard Payment Gateway" for payments.

Archived