Upgrade from early CC3 to latest version PHP version error

Martinmt

Hello,

I've been running an old version of CC (3.0 - something) for years and just decided to take the plunge and upgrade it. I have uploaded all the files etc. (and deleted the old ones apart from those to be kept). I am running PHP 5.6 on my server, but when I go to the /setup page I get this error:

PHP 5.2.17 detected. CubeCart requires PHP 5.4 or higher.

So I am falling at the first hurdle. I don't know why this is saying this because I've just been into my control panel to ensure that PHP is higher. Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Welcome Martinmt! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

A web server administrator will be replying soon, and will have the best answer.

I will guess that having your control panel tools make the switch of the PHP version running on your account, may take a few, to as much as many minutes, to get the environment reconfigured.

Hi Martin

I assume that you are changing the php version via cPanel Multi PHP Manager  Option ?  If so, then this should be effective immediately and if the CubeCart upgrade process is still seeing 5.2.17, then something is going wrong with the switch to a higher version.

By the way, go to PHP 7.2 straight away as it is the latest version available and runs php scripts much faster than V5.X ever did which comes to end of life by the end of this year.

Try going to 7.2 and seeing if that works for the upgrade but if this doesn’t, you will need to speak to your Hosting company as the issue will probably not be fixable by you

Ian

Thank you for the responses. It seemed to take a few attempts for my hosting to actually "take" the php upgrade to 5.4 (it doesn't support 7.2 yet) - so I went back and noticed that it was again showing 5.2 so I did it again to 5.4 and this time (for some reason) it has gone through OK and the upgrade process seems to be working! 

So hopefully I'm on my way, but I may be back 😃

Thanks again

Martin

Several concerns with your story :

As I said, it should be immediate as so if it sometimes works and other times doesn’t, I would be very concerned

PHP 5.4 has been unsupported for a very long time and some potentially serious security flaws have been found, at a very bare minimum you should try again to go to 5.6 butas I said, this will also text end of life soon

Also concerning is the fact that your hosting company doesn’t have 7.2 available - this was released a long time ago ! Do they have any 7.x versions ? The issue is that if they don’t bother to update their php version, what else on the Server is so out of date - probably everything !  There have been a lot of serious security issues over the last couple of years which will likely be unpatched leaving you vulnerable.

Ian

They have 5.6 so will try for that. They do have 7.0 as a "cutting edge" version but not 7.2. I'll make some enquiries. This is hostgator so they are generally OK in my experience (15 years+)

I'm VERY impressed with the ease of upgrade. I have some issues to iron out but I'll have a read around the forums tomorrow and I'm sure I'll work those out (like Â appearing in front of all my prices!)

Cheers

Martin

Haha, yes - in fact I got it to 7.1 . Sorted the symbol (for some reason it was showing before the £ sign but was there in the admin so once deleted and cache cleared, it went), updated my logo, configured paypal, so looking good so far.. 

Archived