Can't change default language in CubeCart

JerS

Hi!
I already posted a similar question, but I think I miswrote the title and question also because unfortunately I got no response.

I also think it might be a CC issue what I experience ( I will post on the github.com also and I will write any solutions here.)
I have two CC shops and both CC shops are going haywire when changing the main language.
Both CC shops are up to date and on different servers.

What happens? After I switch to the English US language as default all the translated documents (filemanager\documents) aren’t working anymore after setting the main language to another default language (store settings).
The language flags are also gone and replaced by a question mark.
The way to get it resolved is by deleting the old database and create a new one and import a fresh backup database.
And replacing the store files with a backup also.
I did sent CC support team an email about this, but unfortunately no CC response.
Hope someone can help me out please.

Do you notice this anomaly only in admin, or do the actual document links on the storefront misbehave as well?

That is, on the storefront, after switching the store's default language to something else, and clicking on a document's link, do you get that document in the new default language, or still in the "parent" language?

Regarding the storefront: CubeCart remembers the language first used for a visitor's session, and will keep using that language unless the visitor changes it if allowed to do so. You, as the admin viewing the storefront, will have some of your admin session details intermingle with storefront session details. To get an absolutely clear session of the storefront, either log out of admin and delete your site's cookies, or use a different browser or different computer.

Just to clarify, the default language (example, Spanish) was used to create some 'parent' documents. Also, one or more translations were made (example, UK English) against this parent document - forming a parent-child relationship.

Then, the store's default language is changed to some other language (example, UK English), the cache is cleared, and the list of documents now shows anomalies.

On my initial inspection of the database, I see that a (long time ago) 'child' document (a translation) did not acquire a 'doc_lang' value.

I also see that, when switching the default language, the table CubeCart_documents, 'doc_lang' column gets updated with the new language code. If that is intentional, I do not know why.

So sorry... didn't receive status updates...
I posted my question elsewhere also and pointed me to a possible solution. I will check soon..

On 8/25/2018 at 6:04 PM, bsmither said:

Do you notice this anomaly only in admin, or do the actual document links on the storefront misbehave as well?

That is, on the storefront, after switching the store's default language to something else, and clicking on a document's link, do you get that document in the new default language, or still in the "parent" language?

Regarding the storefront: CubeCart remembers the language first used for a visitor's session, and will keep using that language unless the visitor changes it if allowed to do so. You, as the admin viewing the storefront, will have some of your admin session details intermingle with storefront session details. To get an absolutely clear session of the storefront, either log out of admin and delete your site's cookies, or use a different browser or different computer.

Just to clarify, the default language (example, Spanish) was used to create some 'parent' documents. Also, one or more translations were made (example, UK English) against this parent document - forming a parent-child relationship.

Then, the store's default language is changed to some other language (example, UK English), the cache is cleared, and the list of documents now shows anomalies.

Yes, the storefront misbehave as well.  After switching the default language to another language, when clicking to a new language in the store, the 'old' parent language will be shown.
Using a different browser doesn't do the trick. Also deleting all of the cache in CC manually or with the auto 'clear cache' doesn't help.

So if I understand correctly, when setting the new default language to a child of the parent language, the language in the database of the child languages will be emptied?

On 8/25/2018 at 11:20 PM, bsmither said:

On my initial inspection of the database, I see that a (long time ago) 'child' document (a translation) did not acquire a 'doc_lang' value.

I also see that, when switching the default language, the table CubeCart_documents, 'doc_lang' column gets updated with the new language code. If that is intentional, I do not know why.

If not deleted - the child language - but 'only' reassigned with a new language code (the parent with the child code) should it be possible to re-align the codes between the languages in the database?

Archived