Moving website to another domain

Ultim8pc

I currently have cubecart hosted and running on Domain A.
Due to a re-branding excercise, I want to move the existing site to another Domain (B). This would be to avoid having to setup a new website from scratch..

My theory is I can leave the database where it is, move all the website files to the new domain and hey presto?
Once moved I just have to make some changes to logos and graphics.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Easy-peasy!

You can leave the code where it is.

Have Domain-B point to the folder where the code is, and have Domain-A now point to a "simple landing page" (or have htaccess redirect).

CubeCart does a really good job of figuring out where it is by using the variables provided to PHP by the web server (which includes the host name used).

The only real concern is solved by clearing CubeCart's cache.

Personally, I'd just recreate the whole site on the new domain, no need for redirects, 301's, htaccess etc.

On the new domain create the databse with the same name, same password, same user rights etc.

Ftp the site files and folders from one to the other.

Export the database on the live site, and import on it's new home.

You could make as many dummy runs as you like until you've fine tuned the process, without affecting anything on the live domain.

This also gives you the liberty of playing with the transferred site to make sure everything works as expected.

I've done this a few times, I could probably get actual down time to under 30 minutes.

Over-complicating it and if it is an established site already then 301 wildcard redirect is mandatory unless you want to lose all indexed urls and link juice built up on the original domain !!

No need for messing around like that - simply get the hosting company to change the domain name on the hosting account and create the 301 redirect - all in 20 seconds ?  We have done it many times for clients

• 3 months later...

Archived