Lots of reading = more confusion! Moving my website to Home Server

Will H

Hey Everyone;

I have make backup after backup using cPanel backup feature and also CC backup feature, export catalogue feature, etc...

I recently discovered GoDaddy is injecting code / has injected code in to my pages for analytics. I feel this may be the cause of my random crashes and such, which is killing me while trying to work on my site. I made the decision a few days ago to move (backup) my site to my own home server, for me to do all the work locally, with the gameplan I would upload the finished result, with products and such, ready for publishing live when I'm done.

There are so many posts asking for help with backing up, restoring, rebuilding, that I have become quite confused - and just when I thought I was successful - I linked to my database with a fresh install of cubecart to find no products, categories, orders, product options, etc. This is where I need help because I have to do it now (to get started to work at home, offline, and then ultimately I will have to do it again to publish to my (new) host. I have NO code edits at this time.

Here is where I need help.

1. Backup:

a.) I have done this using cPanel, full site, along with separate Database, Homedir, and Email Filters backups have all been completed multiple times.

b.) I have completed CC (v622) Backups for "files" and database multiple times. I have exported my (tiny) product catalog but I notices CC says this feature is not meant to "import existing" only new   products (I am assuming this is because it doesn't carry product options/matrix/ complicated "database" style items.

2.  I used PhPmyAdmin (on my localserver) to create the DB using the sql.create index and then imported my tables in to the database. I named the DB exactly as it was "online" with the same user name, prefix and password *took me a while to get that information all correct* I am able to see my database and it looks identical to online. I was also able to figure out how to use PhPmyAdmin to create my user account and password for the database.

3. using my local server at home, I did a fresh install of CC v622 (no GoDaddy code) in my pages. I used the correct username/database/password and it went as expected.

4.  I am able login to admin, or view my sample store "locally"

I see NONE of my existing work.

What have I done wrong not to see products, categories, orders, customers data. Is it a sequence issue? Do i import tables and such AFTER rebuilding CubeCart?

I understand to "restore" my site I need to accomplish several tasks independently.

a.) all image files have to be manually uploaded to the "images" folder exactly where they were before (I noticed the some of the images made it, some did not?)

b.) should I expect the database link to show clients, orders, products, etc... upon successfully linking? (I suppose successful is the active word - and I think this is where I am stuck)

c.) what additional steps should I expect to do now (and again) in the future to make this work?

Thanks in advance for any/all help. Ultimately I know I can pay someone to do all that for me - but if I need to know this for my own sanity - and to help others I would imagine.

Will H

If you install to the database you just imported the store won't copy in the data it will replace it.

You need to copy the files, import the database and edit the includes/global.inc.php file to hook it to the new database. Do not run the setup process. This will clone the store.

You can then extract 6.2.2 over the files to replace any modified code. Just delete the setup folder.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:42 AM, Al Brookbanks said:

If you install to the database you just imported the store won't copy in the data it will replace it.

You need to copy the files, import the database and edit the includes/global.inc.php file to hook it to the new database. Do not run the setup process. This will clone the store.

You can then extract 6.2.2 over the files to replace any modified code. Just delete the setup folder.

Thank you.

My struggles were resolved with 2 steps.

1. I switched from EasyPHP Devserver 17 to WAMP (current version).   ( i added my own phpMyAdmin version and seemingly corrupted it and any subsequent SQL database / user entry)

2. I stopped using the wrong prefix of cc_cubecart_   = which was incorrect, the prefix is supposed to be cc_  for my data tables. (I believe this is the default setting, at least when the cPanel installed it for me)

Will

Archived