Funny characters showing up in documents and modules

Will H

I have been making great progress and generally I am good to go!

I seem to  have acquired some funny characters showing up in my (copied/edited) web documents and now I see in my shipping module (AIOS). I have my setting to utf_8.

for example:

" � Estimated value "  <-- the funny question mark  

xkoo61.png

I have been able to remove them manually (seems to be "TAB" spacing in documents by loading in to Notepad ++ and then copying back to description of product. I then have to g back and edit formatting/colors etc.

Any ideas? .. I don't mind editing the products, but I have no idea what to do in extensions/modules.

Is this a database issue?

Will

The black diamond ?-mark is a replacement representation for a character that the font you are using cannot show (other representations would include an empty, tall rectangle, andother symbols). Sometimes, it is an encoding problem (not utf-8 encoded character being decoded as utf-8).

Everything that modules keep (settings, etc) is typically stored in the database table CubeCart_config in the row having that module's name. The config is serialized and base64 encoded. (phpMyAdmin will decode the contents via some kind of drop-down selector located near the selected cell.)

Are you using a font you specified - not any default font?

The font used in admin should show what the AIOS shipping module settings are - with good characters.

Where is the "Estimated value" with the black diamond ?-mark being displayed?

3 hours ago, bsmither said:

Are you using a font you specified - not any default font?

The font used in admin should show what the AIOS shipping module settings are - with good characters.

Where is the "Estimated value" with the black diamond ?-mark being displayed?

I did not specify any special font, and I don't see the special character while navigating admin at all.

The character appears in different spots dependent on the skin used. Foundation eliminates the character from the shipping module lines, but they return when I change the ski to say Mauris, Mican, E-sharp ...

This is peculiar indeed. I was seeing these in my " welcome " and "terms and conditions " but was able to filter them out.

In my database, should every entry be utf-8? some are listed as INNODB and have different formatting. Very curious indeed.

I was playing with languages earlier trying to add English - Can and French - Can (mostly by duplicating US) and editing.

Perhaps something noteworthy: When I manually download and re-add US back in, it imports the language (directly from markeplace download zip) but doesn't place the flag correctly.

When i use a token to install, it does.

Neither of my English/French Can attempts ever displayed the flag (i followed you instructions in the forums to edit the srites_flag and add the flag 16x11px to the bottom, and edit cubecart.css to span to the correct location (110) and nothing working. Not sure if this information is related; I don't think so as I was seeing these characters in my documents, prior.

Where in Admin do I specify the font? It makes sense skins may differn font, and results are changing, so.. this may help?

Bsmither: is this what you are referring to?

347w3ko.png

Will

RESOLVED:

The issue is only apparent in the windows "Offline" environment.

Time to install linux and do this correctly!--- a whole new learning curve.

After I uploaded my DB and files to my host - no issue, clean as a whistle.

Thank you very much Bsmither; I really do appreciate your efforts.

Will H.

Archived