vpn

keat

23 minutes ago, keat said:

Noodleman

Have you used PIA ?

is it safe and legitimate

it is, I use their app on my phone, My home firewall uses it and I set it up via a kill switch, IE if VPN is down, don't go online. Sometimes their endpoints can be a little flaky, but better than most. It may be overkill for what you need, but it's doable. 

I'm super paranoid and like my tin foil hat and take my network privacy seriously. I've even got ad blocking setup at the network level.

You will find some services will block you, for example some banks block the PIA network block because it allows anonymity, meaning some people who want to malicious  can use the service. So, most online banking places block PIA etc. If you can live with that, or put in a work around then you'll all good. 

PfSense + PIA works well, especially when tweaked for your own needs It depends what your actual requirements are. 

PfSense server in your home LAN, sat behind your router with some funky natting should do what you want. can run it on low end hardware if it's just for you. 

I have an old watchguard firewall with pfsense installed, but I don't have the next 3 months to try and figure out how to get it to work.

I've signed up to a month on PIA, to see if it will do what I want, just waiting for the credentials to arrive.

PIA is a privacy network, meaning it's masking your endpoint to the internet. if you want a "site to site" VPN, then you'll want an endpoint in your own network. 

Settiing up a VPN is quite easy in PfSense. 

https://www.sparklabs.com/support/kb/article/setting-up-an-openvpn-server-with-pfsense-and-viscosity/

Any VPN client shold work assuming it supports your server config. "open VPN" covers most stuff.

I'm baffled.

I installed openVPN on my PC and Server and am connected via PIA going out via 2 different ISP's to simulate being at home.

However, both VPN's have different IP subnets, so I'm never going to see my server from my PC.

I added a route to my PC, so now when I try to ping my server, I can see the response trying to go via the VPN.

But how do I add the opposite route to the server without it affecting anything going on internally ?

at it's core it's just basic networking. 

Think of it like dial-up. you dial into your network. your device makes a call to the end point (VPN server) which answers, authenticates you etc. Once connected it builds a "secure tunnel", between it and your device. All traffic between you and the end point goes over that secure tunnel.

You'll want different IP ranges / subnets on the two networks otherwise it won't route properly. 

Archived