Incorrect verification code

Ggib

We seem to have a new problem occurring with our site. 

A customer has tried to use the ‘Contact us’ page and has come up with this result 

“The following errors were detected: the verification code was incorrect. Please try again.”

Please can you explain what might be happening and how we rectify it?

Thanks

What might be happening would depend on what version of CubeCart you are running, and what skin (and version) is being shown on the storefront.

Several versions ago, the types of reCaptcha methods changed. Specifically, reCaptcha V1 is no longer valid, and hasn't been for months. Thus, later versions of CC6 has removed that choice as a method in admin, Store Settings, Features tab, Bot Prevention section.

We are running the latest version of cc and have the recommended reCAPTCHA box ticked. We are using a slightly changed version of the old a Kurouto skin (mainly just colours) and layout of the homepage 

If you look at my previous post concerning some reCAPTCHA issues you very kindly helped us make a few changes to our skin to rectify them. 

This is a new issue which has just cropped up today. 

CC622 does not (yet) use Google's reCaptcha V3, so I would say that Google switching off V2 has not happened. (There would be a massive amount of screaming if that happened unannounced.)

Which reCaptcha method is being used on your site?

And, can we be sure the customer did not do anything to fail the test?

We are using the recommended invisible reCAPTCHA under store settings, features, bot protection with site and secret keys

We also tried using the Contact Us page and got the same result so no I do not think the customer did anything wrong.

I am not finding people making noises complaining that Invisible reCaptcha is "all of a sudden" not working - perhaps not working with a recent update of certain brands of browsers - or anything else.

"All of a sudden" issues will always prompt me to send a query to my hosting provider to ask if they changed the server environment in any way.

What I don’t understand though is why it is even mentioning a verification code on the Contact Us page when there is no where on that form for a verification to be inserted and therefore used. It does not make sense.

Where is the verification code supposed to be being created in order for someone to be able to contact us?

"Invisible" reCaptcha (a supposed precursor to reCaptcha V3) is javascript that 'watches' mouse movement and click events into text entry fields. The javascript collects all this movement data and sends it to Google for analysis. If the data suggests suspicious mouse movement 'timing' and too quickly moving through the text entry fields, Google will not send back a "token" code to be used to verify with the store's verification system.

Thus, CubeCart complains.

So, somewhere along the way, the token is getting lost. If "all of a sudden", maybe the token is getting hijacked by something happening in the hosting environment.

Should we have obtained a new secret code and key for the latest version of reCAPTCHA (the invisible one which you recommend on CC622)?

Or is it worth us reverting to reCAPTCHA v2  to see if this helps ?

OK so using reCAPTCHA V2 has alleviated the problem. 

On 1/9/2019 at 12:42 AM, Ggib said:

Should we have obtained a new secret code and key for the latest version of reCAPTCHA (the invisible one which you recommend on CC622)?

Or is it worth us reverting to reCAPTCHA v2  to see if this helps ?

OK so using reCAPTCHA V2 has alleviated the problem. 

The codes for Invisible reCaptcha work for Invisible AND V2 but the codes for V2 ONLY work for V2

We have had a few clients reporting (and @Noodleman has also mentioned similar problems) intermittent  issues when using the Invisible version but other sites use it without any complaints.  These dont seem to be skin or hosting dependent but as far as I am aware nobody has looked into it further

Archived