Unchangeable config

Lastwolf

Everything in my settings appears to be alterable, except for the email sender settings. 

Whatever I enter, whenever the cache is reset it reverts to the first values I ever entered when creating the site, I even tried deleting the entire config file, no effect.

The email settings (admin, Store Settings, Advanced tab) are saved within the overall store Config array. That array is 'serialized' and base64 encoded, then saved in the database at CubeCart_config where the value in the name column is "config". (You can use an external database utility such as phpMyAdmin to view this table, and use a feature of phpMyAdmin to decode the value of the array column.)

When CubeCart starts up to respond to a page request, the config is read in and loaded into an array. Any array elements found in the file /includes/global.inc.php is added to that array - possibly overwriting existing array elements (but not intentionally).

There could be other code that has been hard-coded to overwrite certain config array elements. Do you have any plugins or code snippets enabled?

Are you sure that it isnt simply your browser auto filling saved form data ?  This is a big problem for many people especially with the email settings password - the number of times people go to edit some store settings, the browser "helpfully" pre-fills the email password with an incorrect one and then when you click on save, the correct password is over-written with this incorrect one.  Try using a browser you have never used or better still clearing the saved auto-fill form data and better still disabling that in your browser completely.  Saving and having any browser pre-fill passwords is extremely poor from a security point of view - use a password manager like LastPass, which has so many other benefits as well, to do this

If there is a browser add-on that overwrites form field values that arrived on the page load, then asking the browser to show the HTML source might show the source as it was when it arrived - and in many annoying cases, will actually re-fetch the page source from the browser.

Looking at the page source could show if a browser add-on is messing with what is being shown after the page is rendered.

Turns out it was 2 issues.

Quite right on the auto fill thing, it was just the browser.

But it was an entirely different problem that was causing the issue with the contact us emails form. Mail Server was flat out rejecting them because someone set that up so high that it didn't trust emails even from the localhost half the time.

So my test would work, I'd reload and the contact us form wouldn't work, I'd go to settings and the autofill would over right the data making me this that it was the issue. Classic.

Archived