Not create order until AFTER payment option selected?

Lamrith

It is possible to have the site not create an order in the system until after the payment type is selected?

My site is an online face for my physical store that is a side business for me, I do not do shipping.  It is a convenient way for my customers to see what I have in stock and buy/reserve it.  Since I do in-person product exchange, I have two payment options on my site: Cash on pickup and paypal.

I have had a number of people go into my site, get a cart created then for whatever reason back out and not select a payment type and complete the order.  However the system is generating an order on my side and sending emails out that the order is submitted.  Then I end up having to contact these people not knowing if they want place an order or not.  Is there some way to make it not create the order until the person has selected payment type and hits submit?  Honestly a cart is not an order until the buyer has agreed to payment, so not sure why it is doing it so early in the process to begin with.

I think doing what you describe would be very intensive - but not impossible.

Would you consider changing when CubeCart notifies you when an order has been placed? It seems the store is currently set at "Notify the Admin on Order Pending" (that is, before payment has been attempted). This can be set to "Order Processing" (payment made).

Note: if using the Print Order Form payment gateway, we may need to add a means of emailing the admin as this module does not set an order to processing.

20 hours ago, bsmither said:

I think doing what you describe would be very intensive - but not impossible.

Would you consider changing when CubeCart notifies you when an order has been placed? It seems the store is currently set at "Notify the Admin on Order Pending" (that is, before payment has been attempted). This can be set to "Order Processing" (payment made).

Note: if using the Print Order Form payment gateway, we may need to add a means of emailing the admin as this module does not set an order to processing.

Hrmm, interesting idea.  I am using the print order form payment gateway.  If that could be made to set the order to processing then I could switch to email when it goes to processing  the concern then is that I have pending orders sitting there every time I log in which is what I am trying to avoid.  At the same time I do not want to dump a ton of time into custom coding that might get broken in the next update.

7 minutes ago, Lamrith said:

If that could be made to set the order to processing then I could switch to email when it goes to processing  the concern then is that I have pending orders sitting there every time I log in which is what I am trying to avoid.

When using the Print Order Form, the whole point is that the store admin has to process the payment offline (either receive a bank transfer or process a customer not present card transaction etc)  and ONLY then switch the order to processing - it makes no sense at all to change the POF module to change the order to Processing.

All other payment gateways will automatically change an order from Pending to Processing when the payment processor confirms that payment has been received successfully so maybe you need to consider using one of them instead of POF

2 hours ago, havenswift-hosting said:

When using the Print Order Form, the whole point is that the store admin has to process the payment offline (either receive a bank transfer or process a customer not present card transaction etc)  and ONLY then switch the order to processing - it makes no sense at all to change the POF module to change the order to Processing.

All other payment gateways will automatically change an order from Pending to Processing when the payment processor confirms that payment has been received successfully so maybe you need to consider using one of them instead of POF

It actually makes sense to be able to do that if you run a physical storefront like I and others do, I do no shipping of product at all.  Customers pay by cc in advance or cash on pickup, just because an order is not paid for when placed does not mean it is not an order and should not be processing.  I have limited stock and even with constant monitoring and pre-ordering thru forecasts I can run out of product.  My customers want to be able to go on the website any time they feel like, check availability and place an order which reserves product onhand, this sort of ordering is over 95% of my online business.  That is how I use that form since the cubecart software has no other way to handle cash direct sales through a storefront. (That I have seen, correct me if i am wrong)

The complication is when I have people window shopping online that place items in the cart and click to see payment options with no intention of actually ordering, right now that places a pending order in the system.  I then have to open and go thru each one of them to see if they went all the way thru and selected POF as well as contact them all.  It used to be rare, but lately has increased to a point it is wasting my time looking thru orders and contacting these people and taking away from helping my actual customers.  I was hoping to not have the "order" placed at all until after payment was "committed to" (IE elected POF form or "CC" and click submit), but it sounds like that is a major undertaking.  Tweaking the POF would be a nice middle ground option.

I agree with you that and I do not think the POF should be set so that it defaults to pushing and order to processing, but it would be very nice if it was added as an option (similar to if it sends an email as per earlier link) or there was a way to program it to do so.

33 minutes ago, bsmither said:

There is a forum conversation on how to get the POF to move the order to Processing (if you want).

If that happens, then orders left at Pending can be automatically killed after a given amount of time (admin, Store Settings, Features tab, Orders section).

Thanks Bsmither!  I will check that out and see how it works.

Same thread but here it is condensed.

in modules/gateway/print order form/gateway.class.php

around line 68 find:

$order->logTransaction($transData);

Replace this with

//        $order->logTransaction($transData); // $transData may get modified later

around line 255 find:

$GLOBALS['cart']->clear();
        }

}

Replace this with:

/* NEW */
            $transData['status']        = 'FProc';
            $transData['notes']        = 'Forced to Processing. ' . $transData['notes'];
            $order->orderStatus(Order::ORDER_PROCESS, $cart_order_id);
/*     */
            $GLOBALS['cart']->clear();
        }
/**/        $order->logTransaction($transData); // $transData may have been modified earlier

}

Here is my V1

https://www.cabletiefan.co.uk/webimages/pof.rar

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to make sure to update everyone.  The changes KEAT recommended did what I needed.  That combines with small change to the layout /verbiage of the cart page and shipping options have so far stopped the problem.

Archived