update/replace question

cutecube

I sure could use some advice on how to accomplish the following.

I'm running a website that is running cubecart5. In other words, my website files are in public_html and cubecart5 is in a folder called cubecart that is called from a link in my website.

I want to start using cubecart6. However, I'd like to replace my website with cubecart6. In other words, I'd like to have the cubecart6 files directly in public_html, replacing my website.

I downloaded cubecart6 to my home computer, made some modifications to files in the 'Foundation' skins folder and got it working just the way I want it.

So, how do I replace my production website files with the cubecart6 that I have installed on my home computer?

I don't want to upload all the files from a new cubecart6 package, then run update. Then upload my modified Foundation folder because that will just upgrade my current cubecart5 to cubecart6, which I don't want. I believe I want to wipe my production website files from the public_html folder, upload all files from a fresh cubecart6 package, then run 'install'. After it completes, replace the production Foundation folder with my  modified version. However, if I run 'install' will that affect my current database of products? What's the best way to accomplish this and still retain my database and admin settings?

Thanks

Firstly, you should rename your skin to something other than foundation - details in the support knowledgebase on the CubeCart website.

You definitely dont want to do an "install" and do want to do an upgrade - follow the V5 to V6 upgrade and then simply copy up your now renamed version of foundation into the skins directory.  That way your database is preserved and upgraded to V6 and in future you can upgrade core CubeCart without any danger of overwriting your custom skin.  You ideally will check each release for skin changes done to foundation and then apply these to your custom skin.

Thanks, havenswift-hosting. However, you're missing what I'm confused about. I've read all about upgrading on the cubecart website and here in the forums.

I don't simply want to upgrade what I have. I want to install cubecart6 as my main website in public_html, replacing my current website, which is NOT cubecart in public_html. My current website has a button that directs users to my cubecart5 directory, under public_html, when they want to purchase something. Currently users go to my website, then can click through to my cubecart directory. I want my users to go directly to my NEW cubecart6 instead of having to go to my website first.

I hope that makes it a little clearer.

Simply follow the procedure as I outlined, then remove everything from public_html except your CubeCart sub-directory.  Then move everything from that sub-directory up one level into public_html.  The only thing you may need to change will be the RewriteBase directive in the .htaccess file to remove your sub-directory

Archived