Upgrade - rename admin folder

cutecube

According to the official upgrade KB article, this step (2) seem ambiguous. What is it telling me to do?

IMPORTANT: If you renamed your admin folder or admin.php file you must do this prior  to uploading the new files and your store will work as before

According to that statement, If I renamed my folder or file, I must do what?

If I didn't rename anything, then I should ignore  that statement?

Here is a slightly reworded version found on a different upgrade article:

IMPORTANT: If your admin folder or admin.php file has been renamed please reflect these changes in the extracted package prior to uploading. These must correspond to the values specified in the includes/global.inc.php file.

So, if your current installation has a script file named admin_aBcDeF.php (and this is corroborated in /includes/global.inc.php), then before you FTP the files and folders to your site, you must rename admin.php to be admin_aBcDeF.php. The same renaming of the to-be-uploaded folder /admin/ to be /admin_zYxWvU/ -- then FTP the files and folders so that the uploaded admin file and folder will overwrite the existing same-named admin file and folder. (Note: _aBcDeF are random letters.)

Therefore, if your current installation has an actually-named admin script file admin.php, and an actually-named folder /admin/, then this renaming step is not needed. The FTP'd script admin.php will overwrite the existing admin.php, and the FTP'd folder /admin/ will overwrite the existing /admin/.

If you are still using the admin.php and /admin names then you don’t need to do anything for the upgrade and the upgrade itself will change these for you so you will have admin_aBcDeF.php for example.

If you already have renamed versions and don’t follow that copying procedure correctly, the upgrade will rename then again and you will have two copies of each being the old and new versions.  Many people have gotten in a real mess having, two, three or even more different admin files and admin directories all from different versions  which then causes all sorts of unpredictable errors

Ian

SOLVED

I may have spoke too soon. After I upgraded to v6, I copied all the files from /pubic_html/mywebsite/cubecart to public_html/mywebsite. Everything seemed to work except for one small item. The 'home' icon on the home page, shows the proper URL. i.e. www.mywebsite.com. However when I click on any of the menu items, it goes to the proper page in public_html/mywebsite. BUT when I click on the home button on any other page, it goes to pub_html/mywebsite/cubecart.

I did search here, but did not feeling confident of any of the suggestions. My .htaccess file in the Foundation directory simply says 'Deny from All'.

I solved my problem. When the update happened, it apparently wiped out my .htaccess file and added one that said the above. I simply had to copy a corrected .htaccess file to my website and now it works properly.

Sorry to bother you nice folks, but I can't figure this one out.

I added a new Category in Admin section. I'll call it 'B'.(number 6)  My products were all under Category 'A'. (number 2). I went into the database and changed all cat_id to 6 from 2. Back in admin section, I confirmed all products were now in category 6.

On the website, if I hover over the image of a product, it shows that it wants to append the old category to the URL. If I click on the picture, it has the old category in the URL and sometimes the picture doesn't appear until I reload the page. Sometimes the image appears very small until I reload the page. This happens on 3 different browsers.

Again, products in admin show the new category while clicking on the product on the website shows the old category. I cleared cache, sql, and images.

What did I miss? Sounds like I forgot to update something.

There is a setting in admin that has CubeCart automatically prepend the category path to the friendly name of the product. Such as:
test-category-04/test-category-05/test-product-5
This is found at Store Settings, Search Engines tab, "Add category to product URL path?" The complete path is then databased.

To clean all this out, in admin, Maintenance, Rebuild tab, check the " Clear all custom defined SEO URL's" and Submit.

The friendly URL will be a pattern consisting of just the product's name.

But you need to have CubeCart dump all those previous names (see earlier post).

If you do not want CubeCart to create a friendly name for you, you can enter in the text field whatever you want.

I would have started a new topic, but I believe this problem has something to do with my update and moving directories.

When I click on a product, one of three things happen.

1. Three small thumbnails of the product show up and no large image shows up.

2. No images at all show up.

3. Three small thumbnails of the product show up and a thumbnail size main image shows up.

When I reload the page, everything is fine. If I use another browser, the same thing happens. If I use another computer, the same thing happens. Once I click on a product and reload that page, all images show from then on.

As far as I can tell, nothing changes before or after the reload. The page source is identical. The URL is correct. In the page source, it's reading the image from /cache/image.jpg.

I have cleared cache, images, sql, etc. No change. I've tried everything I can think of without success.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to correct this?

Thanks

Here's what I've done so far.

* Checked a product with only one image. In admin/product page, star exists on right image. Clicked on product on main page which opens another page with only that product on it. If first time after clearing the cache, image is small - same size as thumbnail. After reloading the page, image grows to normal size. It remains normal size even after going back to home page and clicking on it again. It remains normal size unless I clear cache again.

* Searched this forum for ANYTHING that has to do with images - no luck

* Compared page source of before and after I reload the page, which produces a larger image - No change in page source (not sure that's possible) Did this numerous times to make sure of my findings.

* Compared URL in address bar and URL of hovering over image both before and after reloading page. No change and it looks correct i.e. https://website/category_name/product.jpg

* Made sure the /images/cache directory had a lot of that particular product with the .200, 500, etc. files in it. Number of files remained the same before/after page reload.

* Clicked on the very small image in the product page. Opens a proper size image.

* When page with small image appears, if I click on home icon and click on same product again, it produces a normal size image this time.

Something changed when I upgraded from v5 to v6, OR something changed when I moved cubecart from a sub directory to the main directory under public_html.

I've run out of things to try. I'm about to reload my site from backups with cubecart 5.

I'm open for ANY ideas where to look or what to try.

Archived