Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,

I am going on holiday for 2 weeks and just need to find out what would happen if I put the store in offline mode, in that time will the google search/ranking change in that time ?

It is impossible to give a definitive answer as it will be different for each site and even for different pages within each site, however, the generally accepted timeframe is that anything more than one to two days of downtime will affect rankings.  Matt Cutts and John Mueller from Google have both made public statements about this previously.

You would be much better off, keep the store open and putting up a prominent banner on all pages and changing customer order emails, stating that orders taken between X and Y dates will not be processed until  Z date - that way you don’t lose ranking and hopefully not orders or future custom either

Ian

Posted (edited)

You could leave your store online and leave a message on front page informing customers and then just untick any payment processing module so that that they do not show or work so cannot accept any payments or orders.

Edited by shaununouk

Thank you for the feedback,

I think I will leave it on and take away payment options, that way Google still sees it.

Thank you