Product Options

Graham

There isn't a limit, however consider the usability from a customer perspective, at some point it becomes painful to select the colours you want. 

if it were I, I would consider 1 item per colour, with the shades as options. 

I can see your point.

To be honest I am not sure of the best way to do it ! There are just so many different colours, and what one person thinks is a blue, another may see as a green !

I think I am going to have to go down the individual product route, as painful as it may be !

1 hour ago, Graham said:

what one person thinks is a blue, another may see as a green !

I think I am going to have to go down the individual product route, as painful as it may be !

By separating them into 300 individual products, as well as being a huge amount more work, you are going to kill any chance of decent SEO plus how will your customers be able to differentiate between the different colours anyway.  At least if you group all of the blue colours together and all of the green colours together, then they will have a better chance.  Noodleman's Matrix Options plugin while not cheap is great and you could also consider using our Product Option Images plugin which you will find on this page and which allows you to allocate a different image for each option and then when that option is selected, the corresponding image is displayed

Ian

1 hour ago, havenswift-hosting said:

By separating them into 300 individual products, as well as being a huge amount more work, you are going to kill any chance of decent SEO plus how will your customers be able to differentiate between the different colours anyway.  At least if you group all of the blue colours together and all of the green colours together, then they will have a better chance.  Noodleman's Matrix Options plugin while not cheap is great and you could also consider using our Product Option Images plugin which you will find on this page and which allows you to allocate a different image for each option and then when that option is selected, the corresponding image is displayed

Ian

Don't get me wrong I can see where you are coming from.

My issue is that whilst a paint may be called "Sea Grey" it is a blue grey, what is more important to a modeler is the item code rather than the actual colour.

If you look at the Games Workshop site, they list all their paints as individual products, I have those and two other brands to list !

I'm not sure how that will affect SEO

eg if my paints are listed seperately, and then searched for by code number, or name eg;

"Vallejo 73.890 Russian Uniform Green" or any combination

Surely that should take a customer directly to the correct item ?

Perhaps this may be a problem that can be addressed with product filters? you can setup filters for colours/brands/shades etc, whatever you require and let customers filter to those items of interest, then have each single paint tin/product you keep on shelf as a product in the store, easier for inventory control. 

Not a cheap solution, but its a really powerful, mature filter system
https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/plugins/product-filters-filter-categories-and-build-menus-dynamically-using-product-metadata

" what is more important to a modeler is the item code rather than the actual colour "

And, unless the visitor to your site has a reference-grade color-calibrated computer monitor, what is seen color-wise on the screen isn't going to be reliably accurate -- merely "good enough".

Are these "codes" standardized? (Like Pantene?)

If so, perhaps create a text entry field option and instruct the buyer to enter the desired code.

4 minutes ago, bsmither said:

" what is more important to a modeler is the item code rather than the actual colour "

And, unless the visitor to your site has a reference-grade color-calibrated computer monitor, what is seen color-wise on the screen isn't going to be reliably accurate -- merely "good enough".

Are these "codes" standardized? (Like Pantene?)

If so, perhaps create a text entry field option and instruct the buyer to enter the desired code.

This is another conundrum, modelers work on the RAL colour match coding, but not all colours have a RAL number !

There are colour match charts out there, but they vary a lot in reliability.

As you say relying on a monitor to show "true" colour is somewhat foolish :)

14 hours ago, bsmither said:

Just curious -- on forums that discuss hobbyist modelling, what solution(s) have they developed for these color conformance issues?

None really.

For an example;

German field grey is a blue green colour .....supposedly !

All of these uniforms are German Field Grey !

It all depends on the time scale in WW2, the theatre ( Eastern Front, Western Front etc) and the manufacturer of the uniform.

If you are a serious modeler who enters competitions, or exhibits in shows, the colours have to be right for the era, the model, and manufacturer some would say it is a veritable minefield. and that is just uniforms, when you start on the vehicles, it gets even more perplexing.

Each of my paint racks has around 290 colours, I have three of them !

On top of that there are weathering powers, pigments, varnishes, thinners and flow improvers in all approaching 1500 individual products !

That is the size of my problem !

German field grey.jpg

Archived