email not being sent

peterp

Hi All,

I have tried all options to setup the email under the admin advance tab and none of them have been sent. I'm trying this on the localhost and I have done this before successfully but it doesn't seem to want to work now.

The version of cubecart is 6,2,4 and the skin that I'm using is the eTrend skin.

The emails are constructed as the email log shows but seems that the smtp will not connect.

The error messages that I have been getting depending on what method I use in the advanced tab are as below

If I use SMTP then this message occurs in log           ' SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting'

if I use phpmailer the message is in the log          '   Could not instantiate mail function. '

Unfortunately I do not where to go from here to try and get the mail to work, I'm not sure if it is cubecart or the localhost.

Any help will be appreciated

Best Regards,

Peterp

There is a TEST button on the form that contains the SMTP credentials. (Maybe, maybe not in CC614.) If there is, click it. A window will popup with the conversation the Mailer is having with the SMTP server.

It is known that some hosting environments have a problem when the store's domain is located on the same server as does the SMTP server.

Hi Brian,

I have included a screen shot of the error that occurs when I ckick the test button

Hope this is some help

best Regards,

Peterp

smtp error-localhost.png

Please try this experiment. In /classes/ajax.class.php, near line 283:

Find:

$test_mailer->SMTPDebug = 2;

Change to:

$test_mailer->SMTPDebug = 4;

Then TEST your settings again. There should now be more diagnostic info in the window.

Someone more experienced with hosting environments will be online shortly.

It looks to me like the SMTP server at mail.blackdogenterprises.com.au does not have a security certificate.

If the hosting provider at blackdogenterprises allows for unencrypted SMTP traffic, then try using SMTP port 25. See what happens on a test.

Hi Brian,

I have contacted the hosting company that I use to verify that we do have a current SSL certificate and we do, I also checked with them that the hosting allowed for unencrypted SMTP traffic and they told me that it does. So I decided to try a couple of other things firstly I just tried SMTP without SSL and used port 25, I then got and error  message that simply said 'The content failed to load'. I then tried the same thing except I used port 80 and got error message as below.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I'm sure I have had this working on a localhost before.

hope your hosting expert can help.

Best Regards,

Peterp

smtp error no SSL localhost.png

Please do not use port 80. That is for visitors visiting your web pages. Also, port 443 for your visitors visiting your web pages securely. SMTP mail servers are not looking for traffic on that port. Standard ports are 25, 587, and 465. (Of course, an SMTP server can be configured to listen to any port -- some servers have been configured to listen for port 2525 to thwart hosting providers' attempt to inhibit email traffic out of their equipment (spammers, y'know).

You asked if you have a security certificate. That's necessary for your visitors to visit your web pages securely. Please ask specifically if the SMTP server at mail.blackdogenterprises.com.au has a security certificate (to receive encrypted emails). This certificate will be a different certificate than the one for the web pages.

'This content failed to load.' message is a good clue. It comes from the popup box that shows the SMTP conversation. In this case, the Email Test had a problem and nothing was returned by the Mailer making the test, or nothing was returned by the code asking the Mailer to make the test. In admin, Request Log, see if there is a reference to the email tests. Also check in admin, Error Log, System Error Log tab.

Hi Brian,

I have been contact with the hosting company and they assure me that the mail.blackdogenterprises.com.au is able to receive encrypted emails and it does have a security certificate. They checked through my site that the cpanel web mail is working correctly.

I have also recently tried a gmail account I have and the same result. I have attached the system error log and the request log from the latest tests.

I hope this is some help

Best Regards,

Peterp

Hi Brian,

Here is the second system print of the request log

Best Regards,

Peterp

request log for email failing.png

Hi Brian,

Not sure you received the system log so here it is again my apologies if you already have it

Best Regards,

Peterp

email not working system log.png

The part that says: Failed loading cafile stream 'C:\xampp\apache\bin\curl-ca-bundle.crt'.

That looks like a Windows filesystem path. Are you running on a Windows box at that hosting environment? The System Error Log suggests you are.

There may need to be a change to the PHP.INI file regarding where PHP is to look for this file? Maybe there needs to be a newer SSL/TLS on the Windows box? (Need to talk to a Windows server expert.)

So, the CubeCart is running on a Windows box somewhere, but the SMTP server is off-site?

Does that crt file exist on the web server box?

Maybe this has a clue:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55488982/failed-loading-cafile-stream-c-xampp-apache-bin-curl-ca-bundle-crt

Archived