Unable to login to Admin Control Panel

Claud

Good evening!

I just set up CubeCart 6.2.5 via my hosting-providers (easyname.at) 1-click-app-installation.

So far so good - I'm able to access the template-shop on the main site, but my current problem is, that

I can't login to the Admin Control Panel.

The link to the admin-panel is provided by the hosting-control-panel and matches the admin_abc123.php on the FTP-Server (like I've read in some other posts addressing a similar problem - but with no solution).

The admin-login-page loads, username and password are entered correctly and after pressing "Log In" - the page basically just reloads without any error message (entering a wrong credentials/pw at least results in the message "Invalid username or password").

Anyone with any idea on troubleshooting this?
Thanks in advance!

Edit:
When trying to reset PW and try a new one - the message "The validation key and/or email address are not valid. Please try again." appears - no further action is possible.

Thank you @bsmither for the quick reply!

I followed your steps in your linked post but no error_log got created after I tried to log in without success.

Is creating the ini-custom.inc.php file with the standard Windows-editor sufficient?

That would be Notepad? No, as Notepad adds what is known as a BOM which messes up PHP. As such, I'm surprised you got a page anyway.

If you have a hosting control panel, log in to it and delete that file. Then use the File Manager's Editor to create the file.

Notepad++ is fine. During Save As..., be sure to select the file type of Text (without BOM).

I think there is no reported problems using PHP 7.2, other than making sure certain extensions are enabled -- which PHP will dutifully log into an error_log if any are missing.

I haven't used FileZilla for a while, so please find a setting and enable, if it exists, to be able to view hidden files (in Linux, files that start with a period).

Lord, I seem to be too dumb for the easiest of tasks ...

* I've set Filezilla to "Force showing hidden files"

* When "Save as ..." the file with Notepad++, there was no "Text" option? I've selected "PHP" then (ok?).

* Re-upload the file, unsuccessful login-attempt

-> No error_log

File of type "PHP" should be fine.

Can you recall if you attempted to log in - and failing - for more than 5 times in one minute?

If so, CubeCart may have "blocked" you. The block lasts for 10 minutes. You can either wait 10 minutes, or access your database and delete any records in CubeCart_blocker.

How does the storefront appear? Can you put the Test Item in the cart and then View the Cart?

15 minutes ago, bsmither said:

File of type "PHP" should be fine.

Ok good, the file-type, name and content for error-logging should be fine then.

Can you recall if you attempted to log in - and failing - for more than 5 times in one minute?

If so, CubeCart may have "blocked" you. The block lasts for 10 minutes. You can either wait 10 minutes, or access your database and delete any records in CubeCart_blocker.

I surely can recall that.

After entering the Cred+PW several times correctly, there was no change in behavior. But there were 10 minute breaks before several attempts later. So that shouldn't be the problem either.

Also: When I change my (hosting)-Database-Password to be able to access it manually, how to I communicate this to my CubeCart?

How does the storefront appear? Can you put the Test Item in the cart and then View the Cart?

Adding the test product to the basket in the test-shop is possible, but selecting "View Basket" only results in "Your basket is empty".

Edit:
Addressing the login-attempts.

I did never enter the Cred+PW wrong 5 times in a row (where the aforementioned message appears).

But I sure entered it more often then that correctly (where no message appears).

To change details about the database, please edit the file /includes/global.inc.php.

Ok, not being able to maintain session, which, having items in the Shopping Basket (aka Cart) stay in the shopping basket between pages, means PHP is having some difficulty with using a session manager.

And yet, not being able to use these means of maintaining session should be getting logged in error_log.

I think submitting a trouble ticket with your hosting provider to discuss session-related issues is warranted.

Archived