Can 2 administrators use the Admin at the same time?

Lots Moore

1 hour ago, Lots Moore said:

Is it possible for 2 admins to be adding different products on 2 seperate computers at the same time without creating problems? Same store too.

Thank you :)

Ian is wrong. Logging in with the same staff account will kick out the other staff member who will need to login again thus kicking the other out. It's a security feature to prevent session hijacking. You'll need an account for each staff member. 

No, I am not wrong as you are just repeating what I originally said !!

1 hour ago, havenswift-hosting said:

Yes that should be OK - two admins should always be using different logins though

It is very clear that I said they should be using different logins !

@Lots Moore then asked about possible database issues, so I answered that as well

My 2-pence...

I routinely log in to my installation of CubeCart from two computers using the same admin account. I also routinely log in from the same computer using two different browsers.

As long as the cookie is different (thus separate sessions are maintained and session hijacking is thwarted) I have, have had, and expect to continue to have, absolutely no problems with multiple logins using the same admin account.

19 minutes ago, bsmither said:

My 2-pence...

I routinely log in to my installation of CubeCart from two computers using the same admin account. I also routinely log in from the same computer using two different browsers.

As long as the cookie is different (thus separate sessions are maintained and session hijacking is thwarted) I have, have had, and expect to continue to have, absolutely no problems with multiple logins using the same admin account.

Agreed that will work but not at the same time. If you login on computer A then login on computer B the next page load on computer A will show the login screen.

That's all I'm trying to say. I agree that in theory as Ian said it should work but in reality it won't (or at least shouldn't). It's supposed to prevent session hijacking.

38 minutes ago, Al Brookbanks said:

I agree that in theory as Ian said it should work

The whole point of my last answer is that I never said that !! Read it again - I very clearly said that two admins should always be using two DIFFERENT logins - so really not sure why you keep saying that what I said was wrong.  As the OP didnt go into any detail, I initially said that as long as they are doing that (using two different logins), then there should be no problems - it was only when he mentioned the database that I then replied with a little detail about database locking

Would "database locking" actually effect everyone? I mean, lock a row and no one but the database connection making that transaction that locked it gets to do anything with it? Everyone else needs to wait.

So, as I see it, queries (transactions) made by different admin accounts will still have to wait until the row lock is released.

MyISAM by default (and the way that CubeCart is written) locks the whole table so a far worse situation - imagine a situation on a busy site taking lots of orders with 2, 4 or 8 admin users updating orders and stock and you can imagine what would happen.  InnoDB by default locks at row level so a much better situation but still locked by the database connection making that transaction as you say.

New CubeCart stores are created with most tables as InnoDB now (the reason that some were left as MyISAM was that full text searches wouldnt work on InnoDB but that was fixed all the way back in MySQL 5.6.4 so to my mind every table should now be InnoDB.

Older sites (not even that long ago) were created with all tables using MyISAM and upgrades unfortunately do not change this

Archived