Merge users with multiple accounts

bos

As above. Is this possible in CC 6.2.5?

Background: more than once the same user(s) have registered multiple accounts (same shipping address, only email address is changed). This was not a problem in the beginning, but it's starting to be.

Sorry. Adjusting the key items in the database must be done manually. This has been true since CC3 (as I have had to do that numerous times).

(I do not know of a plugin to do this - I suppose it is possible - and I suppose I should have written one.)

Choose which customer ID is to be retained, and change all the related keys in related tables (customer, order_summary, order_inventory, downloads, addressbook, group_memberships, maybe others). I think CubeCart automatically recounts and updates the order_count in the customer record

• 10 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 9:00 PM, bsmither said:

Sorry. Adjusting the key items in the database must be done manually. This has been true since CC3 (as I have had to do that numerous times).

(I do not know of a plugin to do this - I suppose it is possible - and I suppose I should have written one.)

Choose which customer ID is to be retained, and change all the related keys in related tables (customer, order_summary, order_inventory, downloads, addressbook, group_memberships, maybe others). I think CubeCart automatically recounts and updates the order_count in the customer record

Resurrecting this from last year, I think a lot of store owners have this problem (my clients do), so I was looking at the tables and it appears that all of the tables regarding orders use the order number as a key reference and the only table that relates back to the customer ID is order_summary.  It looks to me like this is where the relationship between orders (via order #) and customer (customer ID) is established and the order number is the key for all other relational information.

Am I wrong in thinking that if I simply do a query in the order_summary table replacing the redundant customers I don't want with the ID of the one I am keeping, that this should move the history and all of the relational table information to that customer?  It looks like it to me at this point since I don't see any other reference to customer ID in any tables relating to orders.

Any observations about this?

The other tables that would have to have the customer_id changed appear to be addressbook, downloads, customer_memberships, saved_cart, shipping_log (no entries?), transactions and customer_reviews.  Cookie consent and sessions are strange ones since it seems that the store always puts a 0 in customer_id.

When I was managing this situation on CC3, I had to make an education guess as to which email address the customer was going to try next: the one that was temporarily forgotten, or the new one.

Quickly, I instituted a protocol of emailing both addresses explaining the situation and requesting: to use this one, or that one, or keep both (because they had reason to).

So, combining the list of tables you examined and mine, should be it.

What other concerns do you have?

That is about what one of my clients wants to do - Ask the customers if they intended to have multiple accounts.  If not, then find out which email do they want to consolidate under.  In most cases, this comes about because his customers call and complain that they couldn't log in so they used a different email to just get the order done.  Not sure if it is due to text case issues (does CC use strtolower() on both read and write of user emails to eliminate text case verification errors?) or just people being stupid in one way or another.  His business has a giant selection of dietary supplements so he has people that order over and over again for years and even decades.

My only concern with doing this manual consolidation was missing something and causing data issues.  I listed the ones that I found to be relevant and was looking for some guidance or verification that this will work from someone who has done it before in CC6.x. 

Just a side note - I took a look in detail of the 6.x checkout process since my client is kind of inferring that it is leading to people opening multiple accounts if they shop before starting checkout. 

<rant>JFC, you have to be some special sort of stupid to not be able to log into your account at ANY TIME shopping or at checkout.  The very first step in checkout says to log in if you have a profile.  If you ignore that and start to fill out the information, the ajax call to check the email tells you in real time that you already have that email registered so you can click the login link at the top.  To purposely ignore all that and type a different email and continue and THEN call to complain that the store said you couldn't use your registered email address is absolutely mind blowing.  You have to work at being that oblivious. </rant>

Back on topic, if he requests it, I will close his store overnight, back everything up and try consolidating accounts according to the process I have identified and see if it works.  If it does, I will do my best to document it and report back.  If it doesn't work, I will report that too.  If, after letting him know the risks of undetected issues appearing down the road upon initial success, he decides to leave it, then I will go radio silent on this whole thing.

Thanks for the ear.

Archived