Change site domain name

darrenwc

Hi, 

I have a need to switch domain name on my cubecart.  I want to switch from www.example.net to www.example.com.  right now, example.net is the primary url in my hosting account.  the example.com is add-on url.  

I know I need to tell my hosting to switch www.example.com as the primary.  I also need to purchase SSL for www.example.com.

My question is, are there anything that I need to change for this to work?  

Thank you.

Welcome darrenwc! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

CubeCart is very good at working with whatever domain/path is used to start its index.php script.

There is one thing you must do: have CubeCart clear its cache. There is a frontside navigation menu that is built and cached which includes the domain name. So, that needs to be flushed.

Otherwise, you are good to go.

there may be some other considerations. 

• Why pay for SSL? you can (in most cases) use Lets Encrypt at no cost, however some hosting providers don't allow you to use this.
  • If you are using any tracking codes / conversion codes they may need to be updated to reflect the domain change (google analytics etc)
  • If you use any live chat software, chances are the domain needs to be updated in config
  • Some commercial modules are domain locked by license, you may need to have these migrated
  • in store settings, under SSL tab change the domain to reflect the new domain
  • As Brian said, clear cache after the move, but also check your store permissions are correct after the migration as they typically get reset
  • review your mail configuration, it may need to be changed (although, in your case probably not)
  • Review MySQL configuration (although, in  your case I doubt it will change)
  • re-setup any cron jobs (If you have any)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived