Microdata help

Nelly111s

I've got a little bit of time on my hands and thought that I would try and improve my SEO on my site. It's clear (to me at least, though I may be misguided) that I need some microdata on my products. 

I've got a couple of questions, very, very simple - I'm a Noob at this.

1. Where, in cube cart, do I put the microdata information? Is it in the Meta Description box, or do I have to add to the source data view in the description?
  2. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good, startup tutorial? I've found this https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/intro-structured-data which seems like a good place to start, but is there a better way.

I know that there's a HavenSwift module for this, but at present, I want to do this manually to understand what's going on.

Thanks for this - a couple more questions though

1. Where in the product content (in Cubecart) do I put the info (assuming it's microdata, not JSON). Is it in the "Search Engines" tab?
  2. What is a "call to action" file?

I'm currently using the Google Structured Data Testing tool to test one of the products I'm trying to update, which seems helpful at first sight.

When editing a product's details, the Description tab has an editor. Switching the editor mode to Source will let you have access to the raw HTML. Find and edit the designated HTML tags by adding the microdata stuff.

The skin's templates may include a separate file called element.product.call_to_action.php. Other skins may not have this separate template file, but the relevant code is in the content.product.php template file. The call_to_action includes choosing the product's options and specifying the quantity, and the Add to Basket button area of the page.

Bsmither is by far the best person for any CC advice, so for me to offer something different than he suggests is just something to be aware of. I have ALL my microdata structure in the skin files element.product.call_to_action.php and content.product.php.

Here's my reasoning:

It's very hard to get Google happy with all the structured data. (I still get warned about optional microdata I don't use.) So if you decide to create it from within the raw html from within admin for each product, you may well find yourself having to fix any complaints Google has with your code one product at a time. By putting the code in the actual skin files - once Google is happy with one product, all the others should be ok as well.

My files are too far from stock to be of much help to you, but just as an example of what I have in content.product.php:

<div itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Product">
   <form action="{$VAL_SELF}" method="post" class="add_to_basket">
      <div class="row">
         <div class="small-12 columns">
		 <span class="redbold">All Our Lovies are USED</span>
            <h1 itemprop="name">{$PRODUCT.name}</h1>
            <link itemprop="url" content="{$VAL_SELF}">

</div>
      </div>

Thanks. Thats a great tip. Since I use a modification of foundation as a skin, it should be "easy" to do :)

Do you know if you can do both things - i.e. microdata that is in the php (general) and microdata in each product? Not sure if I need that, or if it would make matters even worse! 

I would say if the microdata is very specific to the product, put it in the description.

But if the microdata is actually metadata, then this goes in the HTML code of the templates.

In the Foundation skin, I see tags of <meta itemprop="parameter" content={$PRODUCT.parameter}">, so what else is needed?

To be honest, I'm not sure what else I need. I've been selling timber vita my store for a while (and the previous owner before me, too). I'm now selling training courses and wanted to make sure I gave my pages the best chance of been seen on Google, so that was the driving force behind me doing this. So I just want to start slowly with name, description, price etc. on some existing products and grow it from there. 

Use this testing tool to see what CC has already coded and what else Google complains about. It's not going to help you much in the way of figuring out HOW to add the info they want, but it is helpful to use.

https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool

Archived