Either rename existing cubecart folder on server OR migrate to a new folder of a different name.

Neil_Armstrong

I have had to buy an alternate URL because it turns out there is a company with a very similar name to the one we wished to use. 

So, can I make another folder (as I name my folders the same as the url)  and then migrate my cubecart to it...... and 
how do I change all the words in the site and 
how do I adjust the database as well?

OR can I pay someone here to move the database and contents for me? Which is easier? 
Its a new store. only a dozen items in there. 
I can't find an easy procedure anywhere. 

CubeCart doesn't care what the domain name is. If the web server responds to the domain requested and starts CubeCart's index.php file, that's all there is to it.

The web server will need to know exactly what folder on the server machine it should look for a default document to fetch (default documents are index.html, index.php, etc). So, specifying the folder for the domain name is a setting you make in the web server config file.

CubeCart asks PHP - which has been given an array of info provided by the web server, including the domain name to which it responded to - for the value of the HTTP_HOST or SERVER_NAME variable.

The words that CubeCart shows that suggests the name of your store is in Store Settings. There is nothing to change about the database.

So I simply copy all the files from folder thepetswhiskers into the folder now called curlywhiskers and it will still run and all I have to do is edit the config file for the path to curlywhiskers???

Or can I simply rename the folder it is in currently? And then edit the config file path? 

Is it possible to 
A ) Install a new version of Cubecart into the new folder with the new folder name
B ) Tie it to the existing database somehow so that it looks at whats been uploaded?
C ) Install all the relevant imagte files and edite to the new folder from the old?

Because all I see at the moment is 

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function display() on null in /home/sites/raggedybird.com/public_html/curlywhiskers/index.php:20 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /home/sites/raggedybird.com/public_html/curlywhiskers/index.php on line 20

And also in the index.php at line 20 referenced above I presume...... is this. 

$GLOBALS['gui']->display('templates/'.$global_template_file);

What haven't I edited?

You are mixing up what is meant as folders and domain names - depending in the limitation / restrictions of your hosting account, you can host multiple domains, hosting accounts, sub-folders - all of which mean different things ! However, unless you control the server (ie it is your own PC or you pay for your own server located in a data centre) you wont be able to control most / any of this yourself.

The error suggests that the GUI class was not instantiated, or was destroyed for some reason prior to this statement being executed.

The GUI class is instantiated in /controllers/controller.index.inc.php, near line 67. The file controller.index.inc.php gets executed from an include() function located just prior to $GLOBALS['gui']->display('templates/'.$global_template_file); in index.php.

I have an account with Heartinternet.com.
I can control where the URLS point to but in order to set this up Im using a literal path

www.domainname.com/cubecartfolder/index.php

But having perfectly transferred everything I still get the error

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function display() on null in /home/sites/raggedybird.com/public_html/curlywhiskers/index.php:20 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /home/sites/raggedybird.com/public_html/curlywhiskers/index.php on line 20

What is it telling me is wrong on line 20?

Thanks havens and  bsmither... Just saw your post emmediately as I posted mine. 

OK... Lets cut this down to size. Cause none of it makes sense. 

If I reinstall the Cubecart from scratch into the new folder so that Ive got a new empty databased working site .... THEN import the old database into the new sites database will this be an easy fix? Will it work???

Archived