Organizing Images

Dirty Butter

We started CC way back before there was a folder structure. Over time the new images have been put in the folder as the listing is created. But all those many, many images from the early days are still "loose". I've been working as time permits in moving them into the folders, but it's oh so tedious and time consuming.

There's just got to be a better way to move thousands of images to folders than one at a time in Filemanager. Any suggestions?

You could try using FTP to move the image files to whatever sub-directory structure you want and then updating the relevant records in the _filemanager table by updating the "filepath" column - never actually tried that myself and may end up being more cumbersome than simply moving them as you are now.  If you do try, suggest testing with a couple of files / records and checking it all works !

As you say, getting the filepath changed would have to be a query of some sort, or I think it would not be worth the effort to do it that way.

Maybe some developer (hint, hint Ian :) ) could create a plugin to automate this process? I realize most sellers don't keep sold listings active the way I do, so it might not be worth the developer's effort. But I'm also guessing there are other sellers of long CC use who have a poor image folder structure, too.

Also, I've seen a request on GitHub for a redirect module of some kind - maybe images could be included in that as well?

My process at this point is to do a browser search for a brand, like russ. I leave that search open and search the main Filemanager page. When I get to an image file with russ in it, as found by the search, I edit it and change to the correct folder. Then save, return to Filemanager, and click to find the next instance of russ. There are often 150 or so images for just one search term. This is obviously very tedious, but not hard.

Regardless of how I accomplish this, is it necessary to clear image cache when I finish a hundred or so moves at a sitting? I've been doing that as a precaution, but wondering if I can get by without that step for bandwidth's sake.

14 hours ago, Dirty Butter said:

Maybe some developer could create a plugin to automate this process? I realize most sellers don't keep sold listings active the way I do, so it might not be worth the developer's effort. But I'm also guessing there are other sellers of long CC use who have a poor image folder structure, too.

There are a great many stores that have thousands, tens of thousands or more images all at the one level.  I think this should be core functionality and unless I am missing something, should be pretty easy to add - I have created https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/2416

Also, I've seen a request on GitHub for a redirect module of some kind - maybe images could be included in that as well?

That is a different thing although that feature would be very welcome !

Regardless of how I accomplish this, is it necessary to clear image cache when I finish a hundred or so moves at a sitting? I've been doing that as a precaution, but wondering if I can get by without that step for bandwidth's sake.

There should be no need to clear cache as CubeCart will create the cache sub-directory and any cache files as needed

Archived