Google Speed Test suggestions

Dirty Butter

Speed is gaining more weight in Google's algorithms, and that means it is worthwhile to do whatever we can to speed up our site.

There is a long list of suggestions about what would speed up our site on the Google Speed Test page when I ran the test.

PageSpeed Insights

Our Desktop speeds are great, but Mobile speed is not really all that good.

Images are just one of the suggestions the Speed Test shows needs work, but it looks like the easiest thing to fix.

SO.... Since 6.2.8 provides for webp images that are supposed to load so much faster than jpeg....

Is there a way to convert the existing .jpg/.JPG images in Filemanager to webp?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried changing a couple of images to webp format and had unexpected results. I was able to upload the webp logo without a problem. So I then tried to upload newpaypal.webp image, which is at the top of every page on https://plushmemories.com/lovie-shoppe.

The upload seemed to "hang". I refreshed the page, but got a white page. I refreshed the browser and was able to open any Filemanager folder except the folder I had uploaded the webp image into. I checked via ftp and sure enough the file was uploaded. I deleted it and uploaded the same file via ftp. The Filemanager folder it was in still crashed on trying to access it.

So, I changed the skin to use the newpaypal.webp image and it shows!

Just to be sure there wasn't something wrong with newpaypal.webp, I then attempted to upload cubecartlogo.webp (at the very bottom of every page) - with the same crash of Filemanager.

To summarize - apparently the logo upload worked properly. The Filemanager upload of a webp image seems to have a bug.

(PLEASE NOTE - I reverted to newpaypal.jpg, because that folder has some essential images in it and I did not want issues with the live site. But I left cubecartlogo.webp installed at the very bottom of each page, as nothing in that image folder is crucial.)

hello, for my part I did not have a crash and I uploaded several image webp and it worked. parcontre I have in the file manager a message in red that lists all the images webp telling me that they are not optimized for the site

Hello, I went to see your site, did you see that?

ab-erreur.png

I just tried uploading one of my webp images on my 100% stock test site without folders in Filemanager with exactly the same result.

It crashed Filemanager completely, since there are no folders, with this error message:

classes/gd.class.php:118 - Call to undefined function imagecreatefromwebp()

Again in stock, I deleted the image and tried uploading it again from the Images tab in a Product Listing. This time it did not crash Filemanager - the existing images show properly in the Images box - but clicking on the webp image shows the NoImage image.

According to PHP docs, the GD installation needs to have the various filetype support modules enumerated:
https://www.php.net/manual/en/image.installation.php

In admin, PHP Info, GD table, see if webP is mentioned.

If not, your hosting provider may need to recompile PHP to include it -- if you really, really want it.

46 minutes ago, bsmither said:

According to PHP docs, the GD installation needs to have the various filetype support modules enumerated:
https://www.php.net/manual/en/image.installation.php

In admin, PHP Info, GD table, see if webP is mentioned.

If not, your hosting provider may need to recompile PHP to include it -- if you really, really want it.

WBMP is in the list under PHP info GD, but not webp. So THAT's my problem. My only interest in using webp for these constant top and bottom images was that using webp images supposedly speeds up the site.

Webp images are better quality and smaller than gif and so can help a page load faster but if you only have a few images per page and these are optimised already and then compressed (use a site like tinypng (for png and jpg formats) then the speed difference will be negligible.  Obviously if you are uploading images that are many MB in size it will have a speed effect on first load.  Browser caching will also help and using a service like Cloudflare (all sites on our fully-managed plans have this setup for them as part of the service !) which use CDN data centres around the world will have a much bigger effect.

Webp format is also not supported in older versions of all browsers - see https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq

Much larger changes can be realised by looking at a number of other aspects  - gtmetrix.com is a good site for analysis

Ian

Archived