Manually Clear Cache?

TDLWebs

This might be a silly question, but I thought I would ask before doing any damage 🙂 Anyway...

My client has a site which has thousands of products, all with associated images. Clearing the cache in admin can often take a long time and very often will time out before it has finished. My question is:

Will it do any harm if I log into the server with SSH and manually delete everything in the 'cache' folder? Or is there anything in there that needs to be kept? It seems to me that this would be a lot quicker.

To be clear, the images in the /images/cache/ folder are not cleared when executing a general "Clear Cache" operation.

So, while your experiences are valid, they are not caused by a general "Clear Cache". There is a separate function to clear the image cache (admin, Maintenance, Rebuild tab, 'Clear image cache'.)

That's very helpful, thanks.

I am aware of the separate function to clear the image cache but still get time outs. I guess this is because of the huge number of images. Perhaps I should increase the max_execution_time ???

I have contacted my hosting provider regarding https://support.cubecart.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360003831737-How-do-I-enable-APC-Memcached-Redis-or-xCache- so they can advise the best setup.

Is there an .htaccess in the image cache folder too? If so, I think if I was using SSH then I should enter something like $ rm -v !(".htaccess")

Archived