making tax selectable by customer - anyone done it?

boost2

Hi Folks - has anyone done anything that lets a customer select tax rate on a product before?  sounds odd, but its for a product that a customer can choose its use, which then affects the tax rate that applies to it. 

A product has a tax rate applied by CC by default, but i'm just trying to think of a way a customer can select the items use, either as an option, or selectable dropdown in checkout that applies the rate depending on their selection.  I'm not sure if I can maybe use options to make it look like it's applying the tax, though i think then the checkout would need a bit of work, or trick the zones setup to allow people to in effect to choose a rate by having them belong in 2 zones:/

Any  random thoughts most grateful!

I'm curious: do the clerks at a retail store ask the customer what the product's intended use is?

Do you need to report how much tax was collected under each use case?

Would the customer need to be acutely aware of what they are doing?

CubeCart allows the creation of any number of tax "classes" - standard, reduced, exempt, and whatever others the store needs. CubeCart also allows for the creation of customer "groups" - tax exempt and whatever others the store needs.

A specific tax rate can be associated with a specific customer group.

A customer - being fully aware of this tax scenario - would have two log-ins: recreational/retail and business/wholesale (for example). Products purchased under each specific log-in would be taxed at the appropriate rate, the uses of the purchase being well-described.

Another approach - the store could have two identical products (distinct product codes), but being sold at different tax rates.

Hi bsmither

Yep the purchaser is selecting it for completely different uses in options - I've been running the last approach you mention with the identical products/different tax but was trying to tie the products together to control stock - been looking and it's probably the best way anyway as i have it - 😃

Archived