PayPal Commerce

CubeCart Bot

• 2 years later...

With this new extension we seem to have lost the facility to specify the default payment gateway. On the old PayPal extension there was a box called 'Prioriy' where you could choose which payment gateway was the default. The customer I have in mind wants to have their other gateway as the default, so we are back to using the old PayPal for the time being.

PayPal-Error.png

Hi Steve,

PayPal Commerce combines Express Checkout, Card Payments, Alternative Payments and credit options. Really it covers everything so in most cases it makes sense to use as the only payment system in CubeCart. Saying this you can have PayPal Commerce with other payment options but it still will show as default.

To stop it showing as default you can edit the file modules\plugins\paypal_commerce\hooks\class.cubecart.display_gateways.php and simply change the line below to false.

What is the particular situation here that required a different default payment solution if you don't mind me asking?

'default'   => true

I don't see why we can't add a setting for this to be default or not from the extension settings page to be honest.

We don't use BACs as our main payment gateway but our business clients prefer this method.

Credit card charges are also quite often less than 1.5% so considerably less than PayPal!

Drawbacks to using PayPal
  • High chargeback fees.
  • Higher fees than a typical merchant (credit card processing) account.
  • Account suspension for terms and conditions (T&C) violations that can freeze your funds for months.
  • May take 2 business days to get your money.
  • Customer service can be hard to reach.

Sorry Al I didn't explain myself very well - there is a fee but it is only 1.5% across the board, there are no further costs providing you hit minimum sales. The minimum charge per month is just over £25 but if your sales cover this (approx £1700 per month @1.5%) there are no extras to pay.

Will be away for the rest of today now - but thanks for your help.

Dear Steven Bird,

Thank you for contacting PayPal Email support regarding fee charged. Let me check what best I can do to help you and try guiding you to the best possible solution. 

Steven, the standard fee for goods and services fee will be 2.9%+fixed fee of 30p charges.

For future reference, you may also want to check our Help Center for more information about fees. https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

I wish you and your family safety and healthy day ahead. 

“Thank you for contacting PayPal. We now provide Message service from Monday to Sunday 9:00AM - 9:00PM. To Message us, please log in to your PayPal account and click 'Contact’ at the bottom of the page” 

Yours sincerely,

Nousheen

PayPal

Paypal starts off at 2.9% until you hit discount thresholds, though iirc it's fairly easy to hit the first few and it's like 10k per month to hit the "best" rate

If you have a merchant account;

Card funded payment from a user of our Terms for Payments without a PayPal account 1.2% + fixed fee

If you don't have a merchant acocunt you might be getting slapped with higher fees?

Most paypal transactions these days are card funded and 1.2% + 30p is cheaper than most card handlers rates.

But even then Paypal are pretty competitive if you use them alot, if your starting off it's gonna hurt a bit fee wise. The main benefit of using them is high consumer trust due the percieved protections of the format over something like a random credit card handler. Just anecdotally, I've offered a payment gateway (Sagepay) and Paypal for years and around ~70% of my sales are Paypal. Sage or Opayo or whatever they hell they are called now are fractionally cheaper even now but it's not much.

Edited by Lastwolf

Hi Al

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, my customer's other payment gateway's fees are cheaper, but the other issue is some customers don't realise you can use PayPal to pay with debit/credit cards without creating an account, and so the sale is lost. That said, I think there are some countries where you still have to create a PayPal account even to use cards, the USA being one of them. The info in red might be out of date - I mention it because one time we had to disable the other gateway which led to a flurry of complaints about only having PayPal. If you can call 3 complaints a flurry that is.

I guess the bottom line is the customer in question wants their other gateway as default, I'm just trying to oblige 🙂 - I edited the file and it works fine, hopefully I will remember to check it when there is a update to the PayPal Commerce plugin.

Steve

Edited by steve-t

• 2 weeks later...