A failing test

M6VMO

Hello,

A problem (it seems) with version 6.2.9:

there was a case of a forgotten password on my account, so I clicked the link "Forgot your password?"

But, to my surprise, no email ever appeared.

It had appeared before with a test order that everything had gone to my spam box, but not this time.

Yet everything appears in the email log as successfully sent, so I re-sent a few times, no luck there, and I know for sire my email system works correctly.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers.

Is it the case that the email domain of the sender is the same domain of the recipient? Or, at least, if different domains, they may be hosted on the same server? If so, there have been cases where the email server is not able to send emails to destinations it, itself, handles. They are not blocked - just silently discarded.

But you say past emails have ended up in your spam box. I hope there isn't a spam blocker somewhere in the path that could be silently dropping emails judged spam.

If the email og says the emails got sent, then the Mailer library that CubeCart uses isn't finding any problem with handing them off to the designated SMTP server.

No, the email I was sending to is not the same domain, it is a Gmail address, hence hosted on a different server.

There is no spam blocker, and like I said, the emails confirming an order ended up in nthe spam box but at least arrived at that email address.

I am just worried what will happen once other people open accounts.

Cheers.

Do you have independent access to the store's email address? Generally speaking, if an email's path of transit to the destination is blocked or reception is denied, there will be a Non-Delivery Report (NDR) sent back to the (envelope) sender. Your site's hosting provider may have set up some folders that are meant to hold incoming (and sometimes cued outgoing) emails. They will be located above the public_html folder (the folder that holds your main site).

Please look for the means to read emails that may have been sent TO your store's email address.

I am not recalling any change in the code between CC629 vs one or two versions prior that may have affected how emails get sent. But no mention was made if this is an upgrade, or if CC629 is your first experience with CubeCart.

I just wanted to make it clear that we cannot instantly blame CubeCart 629 because we can't say CC628 or earlier worked fine.

I am concerned when you say some emails did end up in your spam folder. That means something is judging it.

Right,

I registered with a different email address, nothing to do with my domain, my hosting or Gmail.

I got no welcome email.

I placed an order, no mail received, but it is present in the mail log.

In my order list, it mentions nowhere it is a purchase of a virtual product (that's all I sell

) and no download link. The download link does exist in the admin order list.

I am beginning to think using CC live would pose a number of risks.

Cheers.

I have no more ideas as to what may be the problem, and no tests for you to perform.

If you have a means to submit a ticket to your hosting provider, you should ask if they can "watch" what happens to an email that CubeCart issues to determine if it gets out of the server. You might also ask if the IP address that that server is seen on the 'net is in a RBL list. (RBLs are blacklists, maintained by those who think they are doing the world a favor, that others can query to determine if that IP is a source of spam.)

OK,

I'll raise a ticket with my ISP and see what they come up with.

Also, I don't know whether or not that would be relevant: I installed CC from Softaculous on my ISP.

Thank you for your explanation.

I  think I have noticed something:

In my Customer List in my Admin Panel, on both occasions (I registered 2 "customers" for test purposes), the email address field says "admin".

Every time I try to change that to the respective email addresses I registered the accounts with, whenever I click "Save", it jumps back to "admin".

I have cleared the cache in the admin panel, I have cleared my browser cache including cookies, nothing helps.

The email that always does arrive is the one for the admin to the address at [email protected] 

Could the cause of my problem be here somewhere?

Cheers.

Would you say the email address you are entering in this text field just does not look like a full and complete email address?

CubeCart insists on an entry that looks like a full and complete email address. If CubeCart determines it does not look like an email address, you will be presented with this same screen.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

2020-03-06 11.04.39 www.accordeonmuziek.tk b661fcacde17.png

Also, logging in is giving me trouble.

When I sign out of any of the accounts and I try to log in again, I get the message I used wrong credentials, and guess what?

In the login field there is "admin" again instead of any of the email addresses I filled in.

2020-03-06 11.04.39 www.accordeonmuziek.tk b661fcacde17.png

Some web browsers have a very annoying habit of pre-filling in the text entry fields. This auto-populating feature can even interfere with what you actually type in, rejecting that and substituting what it has been programmed to submit for text entry fields having a given name.

Please determine if the web browser you are using has a feature to auto-populate forms. Try to disable it.

Try a different browser.

And delete the file attached in your last post above.

Ok,

Post deleted.

I've tried all the above.

No difference at all.

After all the trial and error and all I have gone through trying to fix things, I unfortunately have to take the only step left (very reluctantly).

A shame really, as I really liked CubeCart.

Thank you for all the help and support.

Bye.

I did have a long consultation with my ISP, and the final result I got was this:

HI,

I can see email blcoked in the mail gateway from [email protected] with the following rules triggered:

0.00 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_16     BODY: HTML: images with 1200-1600 bytes of words
0.00 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
0.00 HTML_SHORT_LINK_IMG_2  HTML is very short with a linked image
2.00 BSF_SC0_TG252b         Custom Rule TG252b

The custom rule is triggered by the proceeding HTML rules so if you can fix those then the email should go through. Basically removing the image may be enough to let the emails through.

Kind Regards,
Rob

However, that looks a bit like Chinese to me.

I had told them that it looked like emails were only sent to addresses that were on the domains hosted with them, and that's what they came up with.

There is an image in the emails CC sends out (my logo), but I'm not sure where to take it away or where to set to send out emails in plain text, although, it would not be the first time my ISP support have it wrong.

Any further advice, please?

Cheers.

Someone with much more experience at running hosting environments will be here shortly.

But, to me, if Spam Assassin or Barracuda is to blame, this may be blocking incoming emails - not outgoing. Please correct me if you understand your ISP is saying the blockage is on the outgoing mail gateway. Your second post at the top of the conversation suggests the outgoing server is using a spam blocker.

The custom rule must be evaluating the actual presence of these other rules - because these other rules have a score of 0.00.

On the other hand, custom rules are created by Spam Assassin (or Barracuda) internally and are proprietary. That is, "The custom rule is triggered by the proceeding HTML rules" may be a wrong assumption. Being a proprietary rule, and no server admin being able to discern what that rule is looking for, being able to fix it will be very difficult.

Doing an Internet search for BODY: HTML included in message gave me this information.

10 hours ago, bsmither said:

Being a proprietary rule, and no server admin being able to discern what that rule is looking for, being able to fix it will be very difficult.

Ouch, what kind of options does that leave me with?

Anyway, I have asked my ISP for more details.

Cheers.

Archived