Odd character, amending text and download links on Order Complete page

RobinSomes

CC 6.2.9 / All In One Shipping 1.0.16 / PayPal Commerce Platform 1.2.11

Site: shop.robinsomes.co.uk

I know that I've asked some of these questions previously, in relation to another site, but cannot for the moment find them. 

(1) Throughout the site, there's an extra character before the pound symbol on the currency selector drop-down, top right (see the attached image). Perhaps because something, somewhere, has the wrong character set specified? How can I eliminate it? Inspecting the HTML shows:
<a href="#" data-dropdown="currency-switch" class="button white small" rel="nofollow">£ GBP</a>

If I check the symbol set in the Currencies section (as suggested by Ian of Havenstreet, downthread), it's just the plain old pound sign (see 2nd image below) nothing untoward showing.

(2) On the Order Complete page (again, see the attached image), I'd like to change the text in the green panel, currently saying "Many thanks for your order! Payment has been received and your order is now complete". I want to mention that an email will be sent with a link to download the content just purchased, etc. Is it simply a matter of editing the relevant line in definitions.xml, and re-uploading that file? Any formatting or parsing issues I should watch out for if I include the shop email address and a hyperlink in that string?

i.e. changing

<string name="order_complete" introduced="5.2.6"><![CDATA[Many thanks for your order! Payment has been received and your order is now complete.]]></string>

to

<string name="order_complete" introduced="5.2.6"><![CDATA[Many thanks for your order! Payment has been received and your order is now complete. You will shortly receive an email from Robin Somes - Shop <[email protected]> containing a link to download your content - please check your Spam folder or <a href="http://shop.robinsomes.co.uk/contact-us.html">contact me</a> if it doesn't arrive.]]></string>

(3) It would be great if there could also be a link to download the content on that Order Complete page; fairly sure I've done it before on another site, but can't remember how to implement it.

(4) I'd like to change the link text on all the site pages from "Contact Us" to "Contact Me" - for the obvious reason that there's only one of me. Again, is it just a case of changing all instances of "Contact Us" in definitions.xml? Ditto, the "Follow Us" link, and "Thank you for shopping with us" on the invoice.

TIA,

Robin

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

4 minutes ago, havenswift-hosting said:

1) Look in the currency program - that is where the currency symbol is defined

2) and 4) Never edit the definitions.xml file - use the language option as changes via that are stored in the database and not overwritten by upgrades

Ian

Many thanks, Ian. Any potential issues from including an email address or URL in the text of the phrases?

1. Something in your environment isn't UTF-8 compliant. It might be the database collation isn't set for utf8-unicode-ci, PHP's default_charset did not get set to UTF-8 (as per a statement in CubeCart's ini.inc.php), PHP's connector to the database did not get set to utf8 (as seen in /classes/db/mysqli.class.php, at the end of the file), or your workstation's web browser or operating system isn't UTF-8 aware.

The UTF-8 pound character (https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/00a3/index.htm) is hex C2A3 where A3 is also a pound symbol in some collations, leaving C2 as a capital A with circumflex.

However, since this appears only in one location on the page, please check in CubeCart's admin, Currencies, for the GBP currency symbol.

2+4. In admin, Languages, click the edit icon for the language(s) you are using. On the next page, choose Confirm from the Phrase Group drop-down selector. Make your edits here. (You will need to actually click the mouse pointer on an area just to the immediate direct left of the text entry box to activate that box for editing.) Making changes here will database the changes and thus will survive an upgrade.

Your proposed phrase would pose no problems.

Do this for other phrase changes. Observe the <group name> in definitions.xml for the appropriate choice on the drop-down selector. For example, the Contact Us phrase is found in the Documents group, 'document_contact' key.

3. That can be done.

38 minutes ago, bsmither said:

1. Something in your environment isn't UTF-8 compliant. It might be the database collation isn't set for utf8-unicode-ci, PHP's default_charset did not get set to UTF-8 (as per a statement in CubeCart's ini.inc.php), PHP's connector to the database did not get set to utf8 (as seen in /classes/db/mysqli.class.php, at the end of the file), or your workstation's web browser or operating system isn't UTF-8 aware.

The UTF-8 pound character (https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/00a3/index.htm) is hex C2A3 where A3 is also a pound symbol in some collations, leaving C2 as a capital A with circumflex.

However, since this appears only in one location on the page, please check in CubeCart's admin, Currencies, for the GBP currency symbol.

2+4. In admin, Languages, click the edit icon for the language(s) you are using. On the next page, choose Confirm from the Phrase Group drop-down selector. Make your edits here. (You will need to actually click the mouse pointer on an area just to the immediate direct left of the text entry box to activate that box for editing.) Making changes here will database the changes and thus will survive an upgrade.

Your proposed phrase would pose no problems.

Do this for other phrase changes. Observe the <group name> in definitions.xml for the appropriate choice on the drop-down selector. For example, the Contact Us phrase is found in the Documents group, 'document_contact' key.

3. That can be done.

1: PHP on the server appears to be set to use UTF-8 correctly; problem appears in 3 different browsers, Chrome, IE and Firefox, and on my phone browser. I'm not in my office these days so can't check on a different system. No great importance, it's just odd.

2 & 4: Many thanks, all done and working.

3: Is not so crucial, now that the message on the Order Complete page mentions that a download email has been sent. Without either, customers wouldn't have any indication of how they might access their content; now they do :)

Thanks again

Robin

Archived