Installation and Set Up help

Bad Wolf

I wasn't sure where to put this. I considered the "wish list" area, but it didn't quite look like that was where this should go. Please feel free to move this to the right location. :)

The last time I used this cart it was version 4* and a lot changed and a lot stayed the same. I'm a bit lost. Actually I'm a LOT lost!

I kind of have things under control, but once I mess things up (and I DO! lol I've been told I have Gremlins in my fingers), I cannot find where to either get it back or re-add anew.

Is there some kind of technical / set up manual I can download? It sure would be so much easier to find what I need instead of fumbling around for hours. And that's exactly what I'm doing just for playing around and testing out to see if this is the right product for me (which I'm sure it is now). I have to get a new ecommerce solution so I can run sales and stuff easily, but it's just trial and error now.
The Home page in your example had a nice little image slider that I could use and add text to and just like that, I made a mistake and deleted it and now I cannot replicate that. How do I find that?
Lots of the legal and technical things would really go by fast if I had a manual too. If I had a downloadable PDF I can simply search the file with a keyword and really get things done swiftly. I have A LOT of item in the shop now and I just want to get this all sorted out, understood and then I can close shop and rework it all with everything in there. I have the cubecart in a separate directory so I can play around before I make the big move.

Your videos are OK, but they're so tiny and hard to see, well for me anyway.
I see you have a way to import a catalog but unfortunately my shop does not have a database to import anything from. That is another reason I'm coming back here to CC to get things done.
So at the risk of being redundant, is there some kind of manual to help me get going?

P.S. LOVING the little chat feature added!

Current site URL: https://badwolfdesigns.net
CC hidden site URL for playing: https://badwolfdesigns.net/cubecart <--- that will change when I learn the ropes in the ACP. :)

Thank you for any help you can give.

Welcome Bad Wolf! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

No, there isn't a manual.

And it would be really nice for CC6 to have a feature where by when editing documents that get databased, that a copy of the immediate past version was also databased into a table of several past versions.

In admin, Languages, click the edit icon of the language you use as default. On the next screen, choose Setup from the drop-down menu. After a few seconds, a list will appear.

Find 'default_doc_content_welcome'. Click anywhere on that row except in the actual text editing area. That will enable the area to be editable. (This should be fixed on the next release.)

Copy the content and then paste it in the document editor, using "Source" mode.

14 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Welcome Bad Wolf! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

No, there isn't a manual.

And it would be really nice for CC6 to have a feature where by when editing documents that get databased, that a copy of the immediate past version was also databased into a table of several past versions.

In admin, Languages, click the edit icon of the language you use as default. On the next screen, choose Setup from the drop-down menu. After a few seconds, a list will appear.

Find 'default_doc_content_welcome'. Click anywhere on that row except in the actual text editing area. That will enable the area to be editable. (This should be fixed on the next release.)

Copy the content and then paste it in the document editor, using "Source" mode.

BINGO! Thanks. Well I found it at least. The last thing I want to do is go touching the database if I can help it. My server tech (and personal friend) has told me to NEVER go in there because my gremlins have Jihad on him. LOL

I see in the code "slide.jpg" which tells me there's a "slider" in there somewhere? I see in the class it's a "bxslider" (box slider?). Is this built into the template somewhere or is this just a code from the developers for the whole software? And it's a good thing where I can find stuff now though! PHEW

Thanks again.

The unordered list having a class of "bxslider" is the target of a plugin found in the Foundation skin, /js/vendor/ folder.

The filename "slide.jpg" has no semantic meaning. You can use any image located anywhere the web server can reach.

If you choose to use images other than 1000x300 pixels, you will end up trying to adjust the CSS rules to compensate.

7 hours ago, bsmither said:

The unordered list having a class of "bxslider" is the target of a plugin found in the Foundation skin, /js/vendor/ folder.

The filename "slide.jpg" has no semantic meaning. You can use any image located anywhere the web server can reach.

If you choose to use images other than 1000x300 pixels, you will end up trying to adjust the CSS rules to compensate.

Thank you. the software I'm using is so much simpler so I'm going to be poking in here quite a bit until I get the feel of the back end here.
My issue to switch was the need to have the ability to have discount codes. I want to offer a sale to get this thing going. People aren't buying much anymore and they just love discounts. I can't waste my time by refunding the amount after purchase. It's a pain in the butt.
I'll probably shop around for other themes at some point too. I just need to learn this thing first. And (redundantly) we really need a user manual. It would be so helpful for setting up and getting the look you need. I noticed images for products need to be very small. Ugh. More time manipulating images to make them smaller. MUCH smaller. This is going to take weeks by my estimation to make the move.

I'm using Rapidweaver  to build sites and it has cart capabilities and I paid for many "stacks"  that the program uses to build. The cart stack I'm using is REALLY easy to manipulate the look and feel but again, no discount capability without manually adjusting every price. Nope. Too time consuming. It's a nice program, but just not my needs. I haven't really sold enough to bother with any kind of hosted solution. I'm just selling little tchotchkes I make for some spending money. Not looking to get so busy that I would need to open a brick and mortar shop!

On 4/20/2020 at 9:47 AM, bsmither said:

As for source images, we recommend no larger than 800x800 pixels, at less than 350KB. CubeCart makes the sizes it needs automatically.

Yup, found that out on my own the hard way! The one I'm using allows any size image and I can adjust it manually within the program. It's just going to take time I guess and patience (something that is now a lost art with me!).
I'll be back for more help soon enough!

https://badwolfdesigns.net/skeletons/

that's one page on my site. I need to replicate that area that says "Charm Gallery" - among other things like that.
Is there a way to do this and / or maybe a recommended theme I can purchase or use etc that has something similar?

Any suggestions? I really don't want to take photos of each charm available and list them individually.

UGH. Shipping and payment gateways giving me grief.
downloaded and installed as per the (limited) instructions given on each one.

Weight for the item I just threw in 1 pound.
What did I do wrong regarding setting this up? I know it's got to be something simple I am missing.
Wanting to play around with how it all works as this is in a test directory and I hit a brick wall.
see attached images.
Hope you can see them. Had to do some massive shrinking.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.49.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.51.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.52.23 PM.png

Disable the USPS module for now. The USPS requires that you be given by them an access code for the module to use the USPS Rate Request API.

The All-in-One-Shipping, however, will work. We just need to review the settings.

1 hour ago, bsmither said:

Disable the USPS module for now. The USPS requires that you be given by them an access code for the module to use the USPS Rate Request API.

The All-in-One-Shipping, however, will work. We just need to review the settings.

awesome. I'll get on it later. Just got back from a power outage and am in the middle of cooking dinner. I'll let you know what happens :)

15 hours ago, bsmither said:

OK here are the shipping settings in the All in One module. Apparently I am clueless on this as maybe since the zones are not filled in that's why it's still not working properly?
I'm attaching them as links so you can see them. I chopped down the size quite a bit and hopefully I didn't break any rules. Let me know and I can simply remove the links.
I also notice now that if I add something to the cart it the little pop up when I add something does not give me the option to view the cart or go directly to checkout. It just says view only as the option.

It's still throwing that "no suitable shipping methods" thing when I go to the cart too.

As for USPS I'll contact them about that I guess.

alliinone.png

uk.png

rest_world.png

zones.png

Ok. Please rename "United Kingdom" to "North America" and Save. View the (newly named) North America tab. Click the Add new shipping rates link.

The following is just a suggestion to experiment with:

Description: Small Box
Price per Item: 1.00
Weight: 0 - 2

Description: Medium Box
Price per Item: 1.25
Weight: 2 - 5

Description: Large Box
Price per Item: 1.50
Weight: 5-15

Save.

Create another Shipping Zone for "Europe" and specify the European countries you will ship to. Save. View the Europe tab and add new shipping rates. Save.

Now, at checkout, with CubeCart having a Delivery address in any of the countries specified in the module, Update the basket.

For example, with a Canadian delivery country, and a weight somewhere between 0 and 15, and a given quantity of items, the shipping charges should reflect what was specified for that combination.

14 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Ok. Please rename "United Kingdom" to "North America" and Save. View the (newly named) North America tab. Click the Add new shipping rates link.

The following is just a suggestion to experiment with:

Description: Small Box
Price per Item: 1.00
Weight: 0 - 2

Description: Medium Box
Price per Item: 1.25
Weight: 2 - 5

Description: Large Box
Price per Item: 1.50
Weight: 5-15

Save.

Create another Shipping Zone for "Europe" and specify the European countries you will ship to. Save. View the Europe tab and add new shipping rates. Save.

Now, at checkout, with CubeCart having a Delivery address in any of the countries specified in the module, Update the basket.

For example, with a Canadian delivery country, and a weight somewhere between 0 and 15, and a given quantity of items, the shipping charges should reflect what was specified for that combination.

Thank you! Still does not show the choice of whether I want to view the cart or go directly to checkout, but it works.
Now I tested with an out of state location in the option to "Refine Estimate" and it did not change from $1.00. I guess that's the weight issue and I am going to have to weigh each item inside a box? I also noticed an issue with language that will absolutely confuse the end user. In that Refine Estimate dropdown, where you select the state, it says COUNTY. Not sure where you are, but if anyone sees that it's confusing. It should say STATE.

So, it works for the most part. What area do I adjust to make the shipping rates more accurate?

When you installed CubeCart, you might not have been able to change the default language.

But by now, you should have installed the en-US language pack.

If so, edit your Administrator profile and make sure you are using the language of your choice.

In admin, Store Settings, general tab, make sure the store's Default Language is as desired.

You may need to log out and log back in.

In the AIOS module settings, enable the Verbose Debug mode. When showing the checkout page, there will be an extensive report showing what the module considered in calculating its charges.

The (tangible) items should all have a weight. If that is not feasable, then uncheck the weight-based setting in the module. It will then rely only on the per-item quantity contribution to the calculation.

33 minutes ago, bsmither said:

When you installed CubeCart, you might not have been able to change the default language.

But by now, you should have installed the en-US language pack.

If so, edit your Administrator profile and make sure you are using the language of your choice.

In admin, Store Settings, general tab, make sure the store's Default Language is as desired.

You may need to log out and log back in.

In the AIOS module settings, enable the Verbose Debug mode. When showing the checkout page, there will be an extensive report showing what the module considered in calculating its charges.

The (tangible) items should all have a weight. If that is not feasible, then uncheck the weight-based setting in the module. It will then rely only on the per-item quantity contribution to the calculation.

ah ok. I did not add a language pack so it's set for English but I guess it's UK as that's the home base for CC.
I'll go find one now. Thank you ❤️
as for weight, yeah thank you again. I am not sure how to deal with the jewelry as it is so small and light, but the wearable items (wraps, scarves, hats etc do have weight) I think per item might work and if I can get that API from the USPS, then clients will or should have the ability to pick that as a shipping option as well at the cart. I'll have to work that out. Necklaces and bracelets can literally go into a regular envelope if I want to chance it not getting destroyed, so I may have to work that out. At this point it seems minor issue as I now have my areas and regions set up properly. I'll just have to figure out a general minimum weight and go from there. I think I should just weigh the heaviest of the jewelry items and use that as the "base minimum" and I can easily put individual weights for the clothing.  Again, minor issue I'll have to work out myself.
I'm sure somewhere I can add language suggesting the best possible way to get their items fastest and cheapest.

Debug enabled (verbose) done. :) and disabled again as I know the error now.

Still not getting the option to go directly to checkout when adding an item to the cart or clicking the cart icon at the top of the page. Problem or not?

English in and done. Working fine. Will add other languages for countries I will ship to. :)

Anything else I missed or misunderstood? lol you know I'll be back with more at some point! I suspect my gremlins will be giddy with glee when it's time to move from the "test" or "build" directory to the live storefront root directory!  I'll have my guy on stand by and check that config file in the FTP so I have a clue on that when the time comes :)

When a customer is logged in, the pop-up basket contents should show a green "Checkout" button. Not logged in should get a View Basket (and maybe a Checkout) button.

"Still not getting the option to go directly to checkout when adding an item to the cart"

In admin, Store Settings, Layout tab, Layout Settings section, choose your option for "Jump to basket on add".

yeah, I just tried that and turned it back off. Amazon does that and it's annoying as hell when I know I want to keep going and not lose my place on a page.

I swear it was doing it before I started getting the error message about the shipping. Weird. I purposefully did not make a user account for the store so I can test it as the end user and not an admin. Thanks once again.

Oh and that config file - apparently there is none in there to  show me the settings. If it is, where? It's not in the includes folder unless it's the ini.inc.php file in the root?

Remind me about the "config file". For each skin and module, there is a config.xml file.

There is a file that holds the database details, and few other things, at /includes/global.inc.php.

Otherwise, all the configuration settings that dictate how the store looks and operates is databased.

5 hours ago, bsmither said:

Remind me about the "config file". For each skin and module, there is a config.xml file.

There is a file that holds the database details, and few other things, at /includes/global.inc.php.

Otherwise, all the configuration settings that dictate how the store looks and operates is databased.

Ugh. that kinda sucks. If I recall the older versions were much easier to manipulate. Unless all I did was find the image files and replace them using the same names the skin called them. I can't remember as it was like 10 years ago. I'll remind you when the time comes. I'm not touching the database. Gremlins.
I am going to need a lot more help in the set up area though. Those old plugin modules from v 4.* were easier to use. IE: drop down menus for product options to add in. Now I noticed that it's a lot like the mail module where each tab must have it's value properly set up to work. That "about this page" link at the top is pretty useless at explaining things. I keep trying it and there is nothing in those that are helpful to me. I'm talking about product options area and I'm sure there are more.

And speaking of the mail thing - I'll be working on weighing items etc, but as for the base price of items, where / what  do I use for that? Do I just use my "preferred" mail service? I usually use USPS flat rate or regional rate using their "Click 'n Ship" option from home. A friend told me about a thing called "Pirate Ship" (dot com) and sadly it does not integrate with this software, but I'm going to dig in deeper and see if that will work for me.

This (above) will have to wait until tomorrow. My mind is melted and it's time to chill for the night. :)

Archived