anyway to limit number of items

keat

Due to Covid19, we are fast selling out of PPE.

As our prices are defined by a printed catalogue, it's difficult for us to justify any price increases.

So for instance, our Latex Gloves are at the same great price as they were many months ago.

We are inundated with new customers who we've never had any dealings with, buying tons of gloves, to probably sell on at an extortionate price on auction platforms.

I've seen our products which we sell for £3.95 being sold for £20+ on ebay.

I want to stop this by limiting an amount a customer can purchase, so our regular customers can still get the same product at the same price.

Is there any way to put a limit on a product, so a customer could only buy 10 for instance.

Polite notes are being blatently ignored.

Not so much on a per-customer basis (although, it is not out-of-bounds for a plugin to offer this).

You could move all "trusted" prior customers to a special Customer Group with respectable pricing, and have, as regular retail, an absurd - obviously as a prophylactic measure - price of £250,000.00 a box. (Most assuredly, you do not want to fall afoul of any applicable profiteering and price-gouging rules.)

We can spot the profiteers and are allowing a few of their sales through, but once we feel that they are now taking the p*$$, we are cancelling thier orders.

We have 4500 product lines, with new customers signing up daily, so I don't want to make things difficult and time consuming to manage.

If I could somehow limit the amount of boxes of a few products that any customer could buy, it would weed out the genuine user from the profiteer.

This wouldn't stop him coming back and placing another order I guess, but he might get fed up.

No plugins that you are aware of ?

The email address will already exist when trying to register a new account.

Working around that, there is a plugin I can send you that sets all new accounts (via registration) as disabled. The admin then enables each account once verified.

The admin, Customer List should have a Status column. If disabled, that customer cannot log in.

I spotted that status button, but it doesn't appear to work, we had one order again today and I disabled him a week ago.

Let me play with my test login.

Odd, as I just un-statused myself, and can't login and can't reset my password, yet a troublesome profiteer placed an order today, despite him being un-statused.

Strange.

We do, but this guy is not a guest account.

Coming back to the PPE limit.

Would something like this work:

We don't have weights allocated against products, If I were to allocate 1kg to a box of gloves, could I set a weight limt to an order, of say 10kg.

I'm getting somewhere with my minimum order value hook which I devised a few years ago.

Could you help me finish this off.

I've aloocated 1kg to a box of gloves, It would be good if this would poup up when a basket exceeded say 10 or 20kg.

?php
$upper_val=15.00;
$lower_val=10.00;
$value = number_format($upper_val, 2);
if($GLOBALS['cart']->basket['weight'] > $lower_val && $GLOBALS['cart']->basket['weight'] < $value) {
$GLOBALS['gui']->setError ('You appear to have ordered too many gloves - sorry '.$value.'.');
$GLOBALS['smarty']->assign('DISABLE_CHECKOUT_BUTTON', true);
}
?>

Please reload this forum thread. More info in my previous reply.

Using the All-in-One Shipping module, there may be a way to limit the weight of the total order. This is based on the stock error message when no shipping module could produce a solution as saying "perhaps your order weighs too much".

This test can do anything -- check the basket contents for a specific (array of) product_id, and the quantity of each.

if($GLOBALS['cart']->basket['weight'] > $lower_val && $GLOBALS['cart']->basket['weight'] < $value) {

This seems to work to an extent.

<?php
$upper_val=9999999;
$lower_val=12.00;
$GLOBALS['gui']->setError ('You appear to have ordered too many gloves - sorry ');
}
?>

The lower value doesn't work as I'd expect it to, but 12 is close enough to 10, to stop someone coming along and orderin 1000.
I'll have to check the database to ensure nothing else has a weight assigned before I consider implimenting it.
Probably tomorrow when i'm in the office.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, keat said:

This seems to work to an extent.

<?php
$upper_val=9999999;
$lower_val=12.00;
$GLOBALS['gui']->setError ('You appear to have ordered too many gloves - sorry ');
}
?>

The lower value doesn't work as I'd expect it to, but 12 is close enough to 10, to stop someone coming along and orderin 1000.
I'll have to check the database to ensure nothing else has a weight assigned before I consider implimenting it.
Probably tomorrow when i'm in the office.

This sounds like it may work for my with a similar situation.     How has the solution been working for you?

Where exactly are you using this code referenced above?  Is it part of the Min Order Qty add-on that is altered?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just limit the number of items available for purchase. ie I set the number to 2 bottles, so customers can purchase 1 or 2. Once sold I increase the number back to two.  Even though it is painful, it works.  An add on that limits the number of per order may be helpful.

Archived