Shipping Not Automatically Selected

wbs1969

I am using the USPS extension and in my admin store settings under "features" - I have default shipping selection set to "cheapest", yet I just discovered when you check out, the cheapest is not selected and you can bypass it right to the payment. This allows a customer to check out without paying shipping. I am running the current version of Cubecart and I feel like this was not an issue before the most recent upgrade. 

Is there some other box I need to check somewhere or is this truly a bug?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

In admin, Store Settings, Features tab, please have Disable Shipping Groups unchecked.

I am confident that the USPS module will not return a shipping choice of zero - if that's what you are saying.

So, maybe some other module is offering free shipping - if that's what you are saying.

On the other hand, we would like to know more of your observation that a customer can checkout having CubeCart not add in the shipping charges.

I have "Disable Shipping Groups" unchecked. The USPS mod is not returning a zero - it is returning the shipping methods that I selected, it just isn't automatically selecting one of them at checkout and the customer can click "secure checkout" without selecting a shipping option. They just pay for the item and not the shipping with the item unless they are honest or are paying attention where it says select shipping method. I have attached a screen shot of what it looks like when you add something to the cart, either create an account or log into your account and then go to check out. I have been using Cubecart for years and I am certain that this was not a problem before.

check-out.jpg

Interesting.

I see that Watercolor Butterflies Apron has some weight in the product details -- 0.5lb.

I am making a test order and at checkout, I am not seeing any shipping options.

Have you modified the template in some way?

You said that the store's configuration is set to "Cheapest". Please try "Cheapest, but not free".

What do you have for this setting, "Allow physical orders even if no shipping options are available"?

it's a common issue, especially in earlier store themes. it just needs a minor refinement in your store theme to auto-select the first option in any list offered to the customer. you can even remove the "Please select" part so it will default to the first option in the list. 

bsmither - 
I am making a test order and at checkout, I am not seeing any shipping options.

The shipping options don't appear until you log in

Have you modified the template in some way?

No

You said that the store's configuration is set to "Cheapest". Please try "Cheapest, but not free".

I have tried both with no difference.

What do you have for this setting, "Allow physical orders even if no shipping options are available"?

I had that checked because it caused a different problem. I attached a screen shot to show you what it looks like. A red warning box appears. I guess its not a big deal, but I really don't like the wording because its confusing and not exactly true and I'm afraid it will deter the customer from continuing to check out and I don't really want them contacting me as the wording suggests. The red box disappears AFTER the customer logs in. Having Allow physical orders even if no shipping options are available"? unchecked does force the cheapest shipping to be automatically selected though. If I could change the wording in the red box, that might be an option for me if I knew what file it was in.

noodleman-

you can even remove the "Please select" part so it will default to the first option in the list. 

I would also be happy to do that if you could point me to the right file and how to modify it?

red-box.jpg

Selecting most expensive didn't make a difference. Out of 10 orders last night 3 did not choose a shipping method 😐
SO this morning when I de-selected "Allow physical orders even if no shipping options are available"   (which makes the red box appear) I had two emails from people who thought they couldn't check out.

Would you happen to know which file contains the wording in the red box so I can change that?

It can be changed in admin, Languages.

But this is a key clue...

If you are getting this specific banner, then it means that for reasons yet to be discerned, no enabled shipping module is returning a package of shipping choices.

Yet, you say that USPS is, in fact, contributing a package of shipping choices, and that they are getting listed in the drop-down selector.

Obviously, this is abnormal behavior and I do not recall ever seeing this situation.

In admin, Languages, click the Edit icon of the language you wish to make changes. On the next page, choose Checkout from the drop-down selector. In a few seconds, a list will appear.

Click on the actual words 'error_shipping'. This will make the matching text entry box editable.

If you are getting this specific banner, then it means that for reasons yet to be discerned, no enabled shipping module is returning a package of shipping choices.

Yet, you say that USPS is, in fact, contributing a package of shipping choices, and that they are getting listed in the drop-down selector.

This is what is happening.... Customer comes to website (does not log in or create an account) - puts something in cart, goes to check out (without logging in or creating account) the red box comes up. If they ignore it and log in then the box goes away and shipping options are displayed with one of them selected. This is if "Allow physical orders even if no shipping options are available" is not checked. If that is checked then the red box does not show up, BUT no shipping is automatically selected and the customer can breeze by without paying shipping. 

So I am thinking the only thing I can do now to make sure they pay shipping is to let the red box show, but I wanted to change the wording so they don't get discouraged or email me about it.
I have changed the wording to say they must log in or create an account to proceed to check out! and it looks fine on the customer end.

I wish that it just worked the way that it should - but THANK YOU so much for pointing me in the direction I needed!

Archived