Refinement in shipping costs

RobinSomes

Site: shop.robinsomes.co.uk

CC 6.2.9 / PayPal Commerce Platform 1.3.5 / All In One Shipping 1.0.16

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but is it possible to refine the product details and shipping rates, to separate the weights of product and packaging?

Example: I'm selling small booklets, which weigh 75 g. A standard cardboard mailer plus printed receipt weighs another 75 g, so in Products: General I give the booklet a weight of 150 g.

I have All In One Shipping set up with the standard Royal Mail weight bands of up to 100 g / 101 - 250 g, etc.

This works well with single items, but if the customer orders, say, 4 copies of a booklet, CC calculates the total weight as 4 x 150 = 600 g, when in fact it's only 375 (4 x 75 + 75). So the customer is charged £3.70, when £2.89 would be sufficient.

It seems that whichever way I go, at some point I run the risk of ripping someone off. If I set the product weight too high, the customer can get overcharged. If I set it too low, then there's the risk I'll rip myself off, by having to pay more postage than I've been paid for.

If I could assign 1 weight to the product, and another to the packaging, so that CC knows to charge for X times product plus 1 times package I could (hopefully) avoid that.

TIA,

Robin

Please fetch and install the By Weight shipping module.

This module allows to specify the packaging weight separate from the total of the product weights. Also a separate handling cost for each zone. The zones are not as granular as the AIOS module.

The shipping bands are expressed differently than AIOS:

Colon-grouped, comma-separated:

0.25:29 <- weight up to and including .25 costs 29
0.5:38 <- weight above .25 up to and including .5 costs 38
1:49 <- weight above .5 up to and including 1 costs 49
10:58 <- weight above 1 up to and including 10 costs 58
30:89 <- weight above 10 up to and including 30 costs 89

is expressed as:

0.25:29,0.5:38,1:49,10:58,30:89

There may be other modules that would suffice.

Shipping is a complex, rule based area with so many different solutions and each one totally different to every business. we built a module which lets you link specific products to specific shipping modules which can help with more complex scenarios. 

An example of this would be for a shop selling small items, and large bulky items. We setup two All In One modules, then linked their bulky items to one and small items to the other. They manage two totally separate shipping configurations for those "band" of products to get rates for each band, then the aggregated costs is provided to the customer for shipping charges. It works well, but as with all things there are pro's and cons plus it is entirely situational based on your requirements. 

21 hours ago, bsmither said:

Please fetch and install the By Weight shipping module.

This module allows to specify the packaging weight separate from the total of the product weights. Also a separate handling cost for each zone. The zones are not as granular as the AIOS module.

The shipping bands are expressed differently than AIOS:

Colon-grouped, comma-separated:

0.25:29 <- weight up to and including .25 costs 29
0.5:38 <- weight above .25 up to and including .5 costs 38
1:49 <- weight above .5 up to and including 1 costs 49
10:58 <- weight above 1 up to and including 10 costs 58
30:89 <- weight above 10 up to and including 30 costs 89

is expressed as:

0.25:29,0.5:38,1:49,10:58,30:89

There may be other modules that would suffice.

Many thanks; I've installed it and will try tomorrow. 
Robin

Archived