Tax Variable (On Billing Address or Shipping Address)

reneerd

Hello CC,

Okay this is about the topic that is fun for everyone: Tax. Let me sketch out the basics in how the US handles taxing online sale.

You have 2 categories with one have 2 subsets in regard to online taxing.

1. Origin based tax (where the order is shipped from governs the taxing)
  2. Destination based tax (where the order is shipped to governs the taxing)
    1. Billing address dictates tax
    2. Shipping address dictates tax

I am sure some of you already know this and I would imagine they are encountered elsewhere.  As the US has 50 states controlling state level taxing and no consensus among them there are some specific headaches we have to deal with.  

With that in mind, I have a particular situation with the 2nd tax scenario and am hoping there is a plugin that can help or someone can point me in the right direction on what I need to alter myself to make what we need feasible.  Its possible I am missing something obvious as I have several projects going on and this one I would not be surprised if I have gotten tunnel visioned.

Long story short, cubecart seems to operate exclusively on taxing billing address. In the US, each state makes its own determination on which to tax by. Some use Destination then billing or shipping address as the trigger to tax.  I have searched through the plugins here and while I found tax exempt which is useful for something else, I have not found something that addresses this issue.  

Is there a way to toggle between Billing and Shipping based taxing per customer available natively in CC or with a plugin?

I have not seen a plugin that applies distinct tax rules on a per-customer basis (other than as a member of a customer group, which, when paired with a product's pricing group, offers a specific available tax rate).

In admin, Store Settings, "Tax Customer By", there is a choice of Billing or Delivery address.

I can see how this would get very complicated, very fast. The scenario where the shipper's state (A) says to collect A's tax, the customer's billing state (B) says to collect B's tax, and the customer's delivery state (C) says to collect C's tax.

And then there's international.

As such, solving this quagmire is beyond CubeCart's ability. So, allow me to ask: are you sure you will meet any kind of threshold where collecting, reporting, and remitting will kick in for out-of-state sales?

First and foremost, thanks yet again BSmithers!  You are the best!

Next, agreed. It is a quagmire, and not one I am looking forward in trying to mess with. Though I will look into what you mentioned, that may well solve this as its a distinct exception not a rule.

I wish the US Fed level would just mandate all online sales are origin based on tax. Its the most logic solution.  Anyway, Ill update the thread on how I make out.

Thanks again!

As such, solving this quagmire is beyond CubeCart's ability. So, allow me to ask: are you sure you will meet any kind of threshold where collecting, reporting, and remitting will kick in for out-of-state sales?

Sorry, I actually did not see that in my first response. Technically speaking yes, legally speaking who knows.  However, job-speaking when those above my pay grade say they want something, I have to atleast make the effort.  You know how it goes :)

Archived