VAT and French external departments

Robin Somes

I've got a customer in Reunion, an external department of France. Being an external department, she's not liable for VAT on purchases. However, if she enters the country as France, and county/region as Reunion, the site quite naturally adds VAT.

There is a separate entry for Reunion in the drop-down list of countries (despite its not being a full-blown country), and if she uses that instead of 'France', then there is no VAT added. However, 
1) It's not obvious that that is what she should do, and

2) I'm not sure the list of countries contains every last one of France's other external territories, if we should get an order from any of those in the future.

I assume the solution is to use the Zones option:

1) Use Add Zone to create a long series of zones, one for mainland France, and one for each of France's many overseas possessions, with the correct abbreviation, and then

2) Tell CC that the French external zones are outside Europe and so don't attract VAT.

This seems a little exhausting, and liable to create further problems with customers in mainland France who don't understand that they have to choose a zone, but if it's what I need to do, I'll do it.

So, am I correct, and if so, how do I get CC to recognise when a zone is outside Europe and doesn't need VAT?

Or is there an easier way to achieve it?

TIA,

Robin

site: piscesconservation.com/cube

CC6.2.9 / All In One Shipping 1.0.16 / Facebook 1.0.1 / PayPal Commerce Platform 1.3.8 / PayPal standard commerce platform 1.08 / ProductAddons 1.0.12 / SagePay 1.0.11

Archived