Promotional Code help

Bad Wolf

Is it possible to set up a promotional code with a "buy one get one free" offer? I would like to make it so customers can buy as many as they want and apply the code at checkout, but I want the lower price to be discounted for each item and I don't want the thing abused.
I can do a half off, but that will only be possible to do that for the entire price at the cart, and then I lose out if they pick only an odd number of items.
I can make the code be used multiple times, but I see abuse there too.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Al Brookbanks said:

No but you can use quantity discounts to achieve the same.

Can you elaborate a little more?  Are you meaning to say “buy two get half off”?  Or something like that? I don’t see how that’s any different than the examples I put in the OP

Too be clear, you are wanting a customer to buy at least two items of anything (the same thing or different things), then from among those items, choose that one single item with the lowest price to be sold at zero-cost? Or is there a definite pairing relationship (2 free of four items, three free of six items)?

2 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Too be clear, you are wanting a customer to buy at least two items of anything (the same thing or different things), then from among those items, choose that one single item with the lowest price to be sold at zero-cost? Or is there a definite pairing relationship (2 free of four items, three free of six items)?

Yes, but I can forego the bit about the software figuring out which item is the least expensive.

So if someone wants 2 bracelets and 2 necklaces, the discount would be half off. I can eliminate the items that are more expensive from the sale I guess? I don't want someone picking one $25 item and one $50 item and getting discounted only $25. UNLESS a straight percentage works but then I can't use that tantalizing wording to push the sale. thoughts?

another idea is I can make it a "crap-shoot" sale and say buy one and get a second item free but it's my choice of item? not sure how that would go over. of course the wording will be better

From this table, am I correct in what you are wanting to do?

B=Bracelet, N=Necklace

1 x BA = $50
1 x BB = $40
1 x NA = $30
1 x NB = $20
============
        $140
50% Off! $70-
============
Total    $70

If not, may we have an actual sample order?

4 minutes ago, bsmither said:

From this table, am I correct in what you are wanting to do?

B=Bracelet, N=Necklace

1 x BA = $50
1 x BB = $40
1 x NA = $30
1 x NB = $20
============
        $140
50% Off! $70-
============
Total    $70

If not, may we have an actual sample order?

OK so say the order has 4 bracelets and 3 of them are worth  $25 but there is one that is sold in pairs only for a price of $35. That's what is in the basket.
if I do 50% off sale, then the price at the cart is $55. I guess that could work to my benefit.

All the necklaces and bracelets are $25 except for a few that have a rare key or are already sold in pairs. I just like the wording of buy one get one and they have to get two of them. If I do that, I don't see how to ensure they don't scootch in and only order one item and get that for half off. I might as well do a full on half off sale. thoughts?

I would consider an item that is sold as a two-pack (like earrings) as one item.

"then the price at the cart is $55. I guess that could work to my benefit."

If not $55, then what do you want the total to equal?

2 minutes ago, bsmither said:

I would consider an item that is sold as a two-pack (like earrings) as one item.

"then the price at the cart is $55. I guess that could work to my benefit."

If not $55, then what do you want the total to equal?

They are considered one item. It's a higher price though. I'm not worrying what the price at the cart is in the example, I just don't want someone seeing a sale of 50% off and only buying one item. obviously the cart isn't going to figure which one is lower in price to discount off the total and I cannot use the wording "buy one get one free".

• 2 weeks later...

Any more details you wish to elaborate on about this?

Do you really want a promotional code (coupon)? What are your thoughts on a simple setting that the entire store is in a "sale mode" that looks like "Buy One, Get One Free"?

I thought it was settled that it's best to do a half off sale? I like the idea of what you just suggested. Can you expound?
I already set up the entire store for a sale and manually omitted certain items. Unfortunately right now I got hacked at the server and my tech is working through that. I'm most likely going to have to find a new server. I'm livid as I spent a lot of time promoting my sale.

This special sale "mode" would, amongst all the items in the shopping basket, simply make the least costly item (base price - ignoring options that might actually make it not the least costly, but honoring customer group price schedules) a zero-cost item. No coupons needed. Everyone can participate. It would override any other sale mode: global amount or specific product amount.

Archived