Newsletter Cleanup

Christopher Short

I sent a newsletter out today, and have over 2000 bounces. One person emailed me, pissed, because they never signed up. When I looked in the db at their email address, they have over 50 signups, all from different IP address. Is there a way to fix these type of registrations?

To fix them? I am not sure if there is a way to differentiate legit rows in the database table CubeCart_newsletter_subscriber. Perhaps you can make a judgement call for any row that doesn't have a customer_id number greater than zero.

CubeCart now has a "double-opt-in" feature. In admin, Store Settings, Extra tab, check the box for "Marketing Double Opt-in".

6 minutes ago, bsmither said:

To fix them? I am not sure if there is a way to differentiate legit rows in the database table CubeCart_newsletter_subscriber. Perhaps you can make a judgement call for any row that doesn't have a customer_id number greater than zero.

CubeCart now has a "double-opt-in" feature. In admin, Store Settings, Extra tab, check the box for "Marketing Double Opt-in".

They all have id numbers greater than zero...and mostly Russian ip addresses.

Well, when I went to the subscribers tab, most of the people have a 0 for id, but I recognize a bunch of the addresses. I guess I need to purge the list completely and let people resubscribe. Isn't there supposed to be a remove me link in the emails by the way?. 

In the Newsletter template, yes, there is a link to unsubscribe. In admin, Email Templates, Email Templates tab, edit the Default Newsletter template.

"when I went to the subscribers tab"

Subscriber's tab?

5 hours ago, bsmither said:

In the Newsletter template, yes, there is a link to unsubscribe. In admin, Email Templates, Email Templates tab, edit the Default Newsletter template.

"when I went to the subscribers tab"

Subscriber's tab?

There is a table in the database labeled subscriber

There is not a UNIQUE key on the 'email' column in CubeCart_newsletter_subscriber table.

Prior to CC607, Newsletter->subscribe(), there was a check for an existing email prior to an insert.

Then in CC607+, Newsletter->subscribe(), the code first deletes all records having that email address, then inserts a fresh record.

However, not until CC620, this code had a lettercase fault allowing emails with capital letters to be inserted multiple times.

Archived