Mr

Bobby12345

Why are the extensions developed for this cart by some developers so shockingly poor? Bought an extension, doesnt work, developer admits he has to upload it for newer version. Nothing done. Another extension forced ioncube crap on me and had to start my cart from scratch with getting admin people involved. Brilliant cart but the extension developers SUCK!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Bobby12345 said:

Why are the extensions developed for this cart by some developers so shockingly poor?

There are only a limited number of "ACTIVE" developers all of whom in my opinion are creating generally excellent plugins.  Why so few ?  Mainly because so many store owners dont want to pay anything, let alone a few pounds / dollars for plugins that often take many tens of hours (or in the case of larger plugins - hundreds) to develop and then the same each year maintaining, upgrading and supporting users.

3 hours ago, Bobby12345 said:

Another extension forced ioncube crap on me and had to start my cart from scratch with getting admin people involved

As already covered in a ticket post, ionCube is not crap and is available for free with all decent hosting and is a simple two minute installation.  Also absolutely no reason to have to start from scratch again - simply remove the plugin from the modules/plugins directory and all back to normal.

7 hours ago, havenswift-hosting said:

There are only a limited number of "ACTIVE" developers all of whom in my opinion are creating generally excellent plugins.  Why so few ?  Mainly because so many store owners dont want to pay anything, let alone a few pounds / dollars for plugins that often take many tens of hours (or in the case of larger plugins - hundreds) to develop and then the same each year maintaining, upgrading and supporting users.

As already covered in a ticket post, ionCube is not crap and is available for free with all decent hosting and is a simple two minute installation.  Also absolutely no reason to have to start from scratch again - simply remove the plugin from the modules/plugins directory and all back to normal.

I try my best to support the Extension guys but both times I bought stuff my site bombed out. The developer told me there is an updated version to sort out that bug but he hasnt updated Cubecart market place. :( I got a Blank screen and ioncube. I honestly didnt see it was free. All I saw was $$$$$. Cubecart by far and away the best cart I have used. Should get more recognition. Not sure what the big hooo haaa is about Zencart, Woocart, Opencart......Anyway, redoing the site. Not even sure if I can still use the plugins I bought as put on a different page.

7 hours ago, havenswift-hosting said:

Just as a matter of intrest, I used a Havenswift skin and got a blank screen. Not sure if it was yours but am too scared to buy extensions.

16 hours ago, Bobby12345 said:

Why are the extensions developed for this cart by some developers so shockingly poor? Bought an extension, doesnt work, developer admits he has to upload it for newer version. Nothing done. Another extension forced ioncube crap on me and had to start my cart from scratch with getting admin people involved. Brilliant cart but the extension developers SUCK!!!!!!!!

ionCube is very hit and miss with end users due to the way it works and the different versions, compatibility, not always installed by default by hosts ect.. I've known developers in the past ditch it due "out of the box" compatibility issues especially with new website owners who arn't familiar with it but its a great tool for helping to protect developers work.

Best advice that i would give if you want peace of mind is contact the developer before purchasing asking for hosting compatibility info then check with your hosting company to see if they meet those requirements. In the general the biggest requirement for extensions is ionCube but as to which version will depend on which version the extension supports. This will also give you an idea of the quality of support a developers gives.

16 hours ago, Bobby12345 said:

Just as a matter of intrest, I used a Havenswift skin and got a blank screen. Not sure if it was yours but am too scared to buy extensions.

There is no encoding in either of our skins and unless you have bought the skin you wouldnt have been able to test it as these are not freely downloadable !  If you have purchased a skin and are having problems, then please log a support ticket on our website !  As @NiteFox has said, if in any doubt, contact the skin / plugin developer before installing and most will be helpful - if you want to test / demo any of our plugins, we will certainly be but do contact us via our support ticket system

• 1 month later...

I've tried a few other carts but always end up back where I started, Opencart, even Magento have the same problem, it's a barely curated marketplace so software for old versions, barely supported and not ocassionally non-functional works just lie up there forever basicallly. 

I always check release date / last update, to gauge how active the project is, if it's been 4 years and last update was 3 years ago, it's a real 50-50 long shot that's it's really robustly written/ in a non-effected by change area of the software.

There's this weird rights issue too, like if someone releases a mod, it becomes broken over time and a fix is made it can't be added in but by the author? 

Only time I can remember that being altered was the All in One shipping mod, when they, Cubecart, took on supporting it themselves.

Archived