Fake Customer Registrations & spam

Hello all

Lately I have had hacker-types register as clients in my CC store (typically with names such as "MxFcgAVH, MXFcgAVH".  As I do not get notifications of new user registrations, I'm unaware of these registrations until I log in to the admin panel again, when I just delete them. However, these sorts of registrations have gone hand-in-hand with the sending out of spam from the store address, typically in Russian, but with a tag at the bottom of the emails :

"This email is sent from the stores master email address but it is possible to reply directly to the sender using the reply button on your email software."

This tag is what "accompanies" genuine emails sent by clients using the "contact us" page . I have reCaptcha enabled

Queries:

1. Can CC be set to advise me when a new user registers, so that I can act on "fake" registrations more quickly?
  2. Any suggestions on how to better protect the store against such registrations?

I'm using CC 6.0.11 on PHP 5.6.40 with MySQL 5.5.5-10.2.33 (MariaDB). Have not wanted to upgrade CC as there have been a few mods.

Thanks

Colin

Thanks for that, Brian. ( I searched on the forum for hacks etc, but not for this thread...) 

I'll create that PHP script and see how we go.

As a matter of interest (maybe not), in reading the thread you pointed to, I noted the comments from others re clients registering with shouted characters. I did a quick check on the clients in my shop. Over all the clients, only just more than 3% register with CAPS. However, that rate has more than double over the past while, for some reason. 

It is interesting about recaptcha being circumvented, though. 

thanks again