PayPal Commerce

keat

I've been advised by PayPal to update to the Commerce API, which I've done.

However, I don't like the express checkout button.

Is it possible to switch this off.

We've had in the past where customers will order items to go to a work address. but they are using thier personal PayPal.

The express checkout would over write the delivery address, resulting in us sending the goods in the wrong direction and a disgruntled customer.

I've just discovered that this module is worse.

As a test customer, my default delivery address is my work address.

I place an order and choose the yellow express type button and using my personal paypal account.

This wipes out my delivery address in the cart, not just on the order, but actually in the database.

Now my delivery address in the cart has defaulted to my home address.

Any customer who's not paying attention will end up having his goods shipped to the wrong address.

I do not know the rational for it, but my understanding is that (not this PayPal module, but one in which its functionality was incorporated into this module) such action has been present for a long time -- for only one mode of PayPal payment. I forget which mode it was called.

Knowing that this method of using PayPal did this address overwriting thing for years, I guess that it must be a PayPal requirement? I honestly do not know. But why else would CubeCart programmer's allow that to happen?

As an aside, I have noticed that eBay sellers will routinely state that goods will only be shipped to the address on file with PayPal. (Again, I have no clue as to what is happening with that.)

Some of our clients are old school, and been using our way of doing things for 10 years or more.

Introducing a fundamental change like this only causes confusion.

If it was like this from the start, things would be fine, but to make this change after 10 years is just fraught with problems.

Could anyone point me as to which file I can play with to remove the express button.

@keatwhile sort of understand that, firstly, I think you would be very surprised how well people adapt these days to changes to online systems and secondly, that can never be used as a reason not to update and improve systems otherwise we would all still be using Windows 3.1 and basic html based websites.  Have no problems with new / upgraded plugins especially where they are improving functionality but what is a problem is when it restricts or forces different behaviour that prevents a business carrying out a vital process flow

Ian

Try telling that to a guy who orders 2 pallets of something, expecting it to be delivered to his work address (as it's always been for the last 10 years), and then we send a 12 ton curtain sider to his bugalow down a cul-de-sac, beacause he didn't pick up on the fact that we applied a new module.

When we tried express checkout a few years ago, we had this happen a number of times.

I can't risk it happening again.

I didn't leave it applied long enough to see what the 2nd part of the plugin did.

I used the Express button on my first test order, and discovered that it over rides what the customer has configured as his default address.

That was enough for me to take it back off very quickly.

I explained the flaw in this part of the module to the PayPal guy, who said that he would mention this to thier development team, but I'm not expecting anything to come of it.

One explanation is probably Paypal will only honour their seller protection if the order has been shipped to the address registered in Paypal.

I have problems both ways - I have customers who update their address in Paypal but not in their accounts on my site, even though I have clear warnings before and during checkout about making sure their address on my site is correct ( I don't have time to cross check the Paypal address is the same as the delivery address or vice versa) then complain to me when I send it to the wrong address, then I have the customers who update their address on my website but not on Paypal, if the customer files an item not received (even with tracking) then Paypal will not honour the protection.

After a few emails back and forth with the Paypal techie guys, i've about drawn a blank

He states:

The module should allow you to turn express on and off?

Unfortunately we have no oversight on the development of the plugins or their functionality. I can advise on the code if that’s of any help, but normally the plugins are developed by third party developers.  

If the module allows switching off of express, then I can't see where.

Archived