Upgrade questions and directory help

Bad Wolf

My cart needs updating. I am running CC 6.2.9 and the latest is 6.4.1. Being terrified to mess things up I want to ask before I dive.

There is a link that says "Upgrade now" in that red warning bar telling me I'm in need of upgrading. I click it and it has the obvious directions to back up all files and databases. Then there is a button that I click to upgrade.

Has the software improved to the point where it will do "all the work for me"? Kind of like when plugins are updated with one click?

2nd. I NEED to change the directory name of my shop. right now it's mysite/cubecart/ and I am getting lots of stupid spammers telling me exactly what they're trying to do. I need a different name so they don't automatically get told what software I'm using. I would want to do this BEFORE I upgrade.
Where can I find the area to do this?

hackers are trying to access via the file admin_bcSNkK.php file  using a file called linksniff

Your Name:Kerri Harris

Your Email: [email protected]

Phone: 618-997-3110

Mailing Address: [email protected]

custom order request - yes

Subject: Error on your website

https://badwolfdesigns.net/cubecart/admin_bcsnkk.php?_g=product...ted%5D�sc&action�it&product_id6

I thought you would like to know :). Silly mistakes can ruin your site's credibility. I've used a tool called 
linkSniff.com in the past to keep mistakes off of my website.

-Kerri

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Being terrified to mess things up I want to ask before I dive.

If you are terrified, then obviously make sure you have file and database backups before you start and just as importantly know how to restore both.  However, if you are that terrified, then maybe pay somebody to do the upgrade for you or have a fully managed hosting account such as we and Al offer !

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Has the software improved to the point where it will do "all the work for me"?

There were problems with this going back quite a few versions and to be honest I have no idea whether it now works or not, I and most technical people would do it manually as you have more control over what is happening.

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I NEED to change the directory name of my shop. right now it's mysite/cubecart/

Why is it installed in a sub-directory at all ?  Absolutely no need unless you have another application installed at the root level. You can either move up one level or simply rename and CubeCart will work itself out - the only thing you may need to change is within the .htaccess file

Havenswift - please have a look at the updated post. while you were answering I added some more.

So - Yes, I have a splash page. I'm not sure if I want to do that right now. BUT if I change the directory name you're telling me CC will figure it out and all I have to do is check the .htaccess file to make sure it "matches"?

Maybe terrified was too strong a word ;)

Having cubecart or cube or similar IMO looks unprofessional but don’t change it thinking it will stop people working out what software you are running - that is a trivial thing to do from the homepage of any CubeCart (or WordPress or Magento etc etc) website

Take a look at your current .htaccess file to see where the directory name is used

20 minutes ago, havenswift-hosting said:

Having cubecart or cube or similar IMO looks unprofessional but don’t change it thinking it will stop people working out what software you are running - that is a trivial thing to do from the homepage of any CubeCart (or WordPress or Magento etc etc) website

Take a look at your current .htaccess file to see where the directory name is used

I know that. I want it changed anyway.  What I would like is an answer to my questions in the OP so I can move forward with upgrading to the latest version, please. :)

Archived