Help fixing install/upgrade

Lamrith

I need help with my site.  I did an upgrade to 6.2.2, but it appears some parts of the site did not upgrade.  I now cannot get promo codes to work among other things, and have had a few people that could not get thru the new customer setup.  It was previously mentioned when I was trying to add a feature that the install was not complete. 

What I would like to do is do a fresh install, but do not want to loose products, customers, skins, logos, layouts, etc.  Is there a way to do a fresh install and not lose everything?

Why would you want to go back to 6.2.9 ? Sort out any problems there are and stay on 6.4.1 - with the various patches that will be available in 6.4.2 applied manually, it now seems to be very stable and running it on a large number of stores

You can probably leave it as it is (definitely dont delete !) but much better to restore the backup database that you took unless you have had a lot of transactions go through since upgrade

Unfortunately, there is a change to the contents of the CubeCart_seo_urls table. A script appended '.html' to the end of the values in the 'path' column.

This makes backwards compatibility difficult.

All other changes to the database making it CC641 does not affect CC629.

Turns out my host Co changed their packages and removed my ability to do manual backup.  I have to pay them for a service to do any backups now.  😕  I may just drop them and go to a New Co.

There is a 6.4?  I am still on 6.2.2, and do not see an option to go to 6.4 anyplace.  Customers, products, orders are what I most need to keep.  Would it be possible to do a Db Backup (it appears I can backup those at least), then manual upgrade/fresh install to 6.4 and then import the Db information in once the upgrade is complete??

1 hour ago, bsmither said:

Unfortunately, there is a change to the contents of the CubeCart_seo_urls table. A script appended '.html' to the end of the values in the 'path' column.

This makes backwards compatibility difficult

That is true !  Makes it a stronger case to just stay on 6.4.1 and sort whatever small problems there may be

55 minutes ago, Lamrith said:

Turns out my host Co changed their packages and removed my ability to do manual backup.  I have to pay them for a service to do any backups now.  😕  I may just drop them and go to a New Co.

You can always backup via FTP to a local machine but they should at least give you the ability to restore files fro ma backup - if they arent taking any as standard for free them ditch them !

58 minutes ago, Lamrith said:

There is a 6.4?  I am still on 6.2.2, and do not see an option to go to 6.4 anyplace.  Customers, products, orders are what I most need to keep.

6.2.2 is extremely old so you have missed a LOT of upgrades !  Upgrades keep all data intact in the database.

59 minutes ago, Lamrith said:

Would it be possible to do a Db Backup (it appears I can backup those at least), then manual upgrade/fresh install to 6.4 and then import the Db information in once the upgrade is complete??

Do a DB backup via phpMyAdmin so you have a copy in the slim chance that something goes seriously wrong then do a manual upgrade to 6.4.1 but bear in mind that there are quite a few fixes already which will be available in 6.4.2 and also that unless you are using the standard foundation skin, your skin will need updating to use some of the new features

• 2 months later...

Coming back around to this problem.  I limped my way thru holidays. I will be on vacation next week and already "closing" the website while I am gone, so I think that will be the time to attack this problem and get the site updated.

The last I checked my host did not offer free backup when I last checked, at least not automatic ones.  I will check again tonight if there is a way for me to do it manually.  I do not have many products, but the customer information I would very much like to keep so customers can log in and not have to go thru making a new account, passwords etc. 

What do I need to do to manually backup and then update to the new version with that in mind?  I can and will recreate the products manually.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:14 PM, havenswift-hosting said:

You shouldnt ever need to do a fresh install - an upgrade overwrites all files - you will not lose any data such as customers or products etc that way

Do you really mean 6.2.2 - that is a very old version or do you mean upgraded from 6.2.2 to the latest ?

I realize I never clarified.  I do believe I am on a failed upgrade TO 6.22.  Some of my info says 6.22, some says older version.  Because off that it as never done anything when I have hit the upgrade button when I saw new versions in my dashboard.  Hence wanting to get a new version installed but need to preserve my customer files.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:19 AM, Lamrith said:

I will check again tonight if there is a way for me to do it manually.

You can always do backups - files via FTP or ssh and database by exporting via phpMyAdmin.

The last I checked my host did not offer free backup when I last checked, at least not automatic ones

Then you need to find a better hosting company 😀 come and have a chat with us about hosting / supporting your site

then update to the new version with that in mind?  I can and will recreate the products manually.

You need to do a manual upgrade to the latest 6.4.2 version - even more important if you have had previous failed upgrades.  You will NOT lose any data and will not need to recreate products

Thanks for the guidance all!  The upgrade to 6.4.2 was easier than I thought.  It dropped right in.   Now to research editing the foundation skin.  I was using E-tone green.  But a few users had issues and I like the look of foundation.  Just need color change , Logo/search resizing and then  changes to cart.  😛

Archived