Advanced search on phone odd item

Debyink

Setting up my new V6 store (been with CC since V3 old stores still running on V4) and just doing some final testing before I fully upload all my products.

I was checking the site on my iphone and when going to the 'Advanced search' in the search by manufacturer box it begins the drop down list with '0 items', the actual manufacturers are then listed after this. I've checked my manufacturers list and there isn't a '0 items' in there.

IMG_2314.jpg

This is a skin by a third-party. We recommend that a conversation be started in the skin's Extension Discussion forum:

https://forums.cubecart.com/topic/56281-cburst-bootstrap-responsive-skin/

I checked using Foundation, but that selector has a "multiple" attribute which shows the first four options.

Once the skin author has verified this is not a skin issue, we can start looking at the code.

I am looking at the CBurst demo site and the selector shown is appropriate. I will give a glance at the code.

Hey,

It's a Chosen select box (jquery.chosen.js) feature that was "inherited" from the foundation skin.

From a quick google search it seems there was a display issue with some mobile devices so they added a test to mark mobile devices as not supported and display the default html multiple select element which some versions of iOS  seem to have a hard time handling (dating back to 2014 - odd it would still happen).

I'll dig a little deeper.. 

So, it seems the "0 Items" is a reference to the number of currently selected items and NOT the number of items available in the list and should increase as you select manufacturers.

Seems this is the default behaviour on iOS and has been around for 10+ years with no real override option.

You can use the chosen option feature like on desktops although customers might find it abit more fiddly.

You can experiment by disabling the mobile check for the chosen jQuery by

opening: cburst > js > vendor > jquery.chosen.js and finding line 603

return false;

and changing it to 

return true;

you will need to clear your sites cache and possibly your browser cache/history.

So, iOS is messing with the DOM? Or a specific browser (installed on iOS)?

So, if the device is not supported, then Chosen is taken out of play. As such, I can't choose more than one manufacturer. (Firefox pretending to be an Android.)

However, In desktop view, Chosen is working. I switch to Responsive Design Mode - which does not rerun the javascript - Chosen is still running in fake iOS.12 mode. I don't get the item count thing. Maybe only on a 'real' iOS.12.

3 minutes ago, bsmither said:

So, iOS is messing with the DOM? Or a specific browser (installed on iOS)?

So, if the device is not supported, then Chosen is taken out of play. As such, I can't choose more than one manufacturer. (Firefox pretending to be an Android. However, In desktop view, Chosen is working. I switch to Responsive Design Mode - which does not rerun the javascript - Chosen is still running in fake iOS.12 mode. I don't get the item count thing. Maybe only on a 'real' iOS.12.)

Just checked and would appear to happen on any browser on a ios device (checked safari, chrome, firefox) and its identical.

If a device is detected as mobile then the chosen script wont run at all, leaving the user with a standard select html element with multiple select capability but it just uses the browsers/os multi select method.

Although the ios choice is slightly misleading it should work fine. 

Archived